Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Woeful fuel economy

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
what kind of city driving?
is it inner city or more subburb?
whats the averadge speed for that 14lt/100?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
I have just had my VE SV6 converted to SVI LPG. On gas I get about 550km to a 75L tank of LPG.
On Fuel I am getting upwards of 950km to the 75L tank of Petrol.

My average fuel economy sits on around 7.5 - 8.0l / 100
I have had it come down as low as 6.8l/100km

I don't drive like a granny either.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I would wait until the engine gets to around 10,000km to see if the fuel economy improves. Same with the rest of the people here who have cars that haven't even reached 5000km.
It will get better.
I have a 5 litre ute that gets 310 out of 60litres of gas around town. So you would think a SIDI or non SIDI V6 should get better results.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
I have just had my VE SV6 converted to SVI LPG. On gas I get about 550km to a 75L tank of LPG.
On Fuel I am getting upwards of 950km to the 75L tank of Petrol.

My average fuel economy sits on around 7.5 - 8.0l / 100
I have had it come down as low as 6.8l/100km

I don't drive like a granny either.
where do you have the gas tank in the boot or is it a donut tank?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
I Have an LPG VE International with 3000 KMS on it,I,ve had it since new and it gets max 320KMs on 70 lts of Gas and about 370 on fuel. Just had it in to holden for 3000 k service and they said that you need to run it in for at least 10-15000 K before getting good fuel economy. I got much better economy with my VN commodore on Gas. Is holden having a lend of me or is that correct?Cheers John

Mate, how many k's have you done now and what sort of figures are you getting?

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
Hi,

Not sure about the OP - hasn't been on the forum since 21-02-2010, but.. I've got a 2008 VE Berlina LPG (factory fitted version) so my fuel figures are relevant. I drive 230k per day round trip to work on mostly freeways. Lowest speed I do is 80 (except in the carpark at work!!). I fill up the gas every 2-3 days but occasionally empty the tank. From (all too) frequent fill-ups, I know I can only get about 68-70 litres in the 73l LPG tank in cooler weather (less in summer). On a full LPG tank, I always get at least 630k. Based on my fill amounts, that puts the fuel consumption around the 11.5 l/100k mark at worst. That's not bad IMHO given I'm lugging a 100 kilo LPG tank (plus another 70kg in gas when full), a full size spare and half a tank of petrol and the barge itself ;) I've had the car 12 months and done 62,000 k's in it and reckon I've saved about $3,500 in fuel bills... and then spent that on Citylink tolls. d'oh!

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I never get over 11l/100kmh

Freeway driving normally returns 6ish litres. I live in SE burbs of melb. Port injected motor, CAI, headers, mufflers.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
Hi,

Not sure about the OP - hasn't been on the forum since 21-02-2010, but.. I've got a 2008 VE Berlina LPG (factory fitted version) so my fuel figures are relevant. I drive 230k per day round trip to work on mostly freeways. Lowest speed I do is 80 (except in the carpark at work!!). I fill up the gas every 2-3 days but occasionally empty the tank. From (all too) frequent fill-ups, I know I can only get about 68-70 litres in the 73l LPG tank in cooler weather (less in summer). On a full LPG tank, I always get at least 630k. Based on my fill amounts, that puts the fuel consumption around the 11.5 l/100k mark at worst. That's not bad IMHO given I'm lugging a 100 kilo LPG tank (plus another 70kg in gas when full), a full size spare and half a tank of petrol and the barge itself ;) I've had the car 12 months and done 62,000 k's in it and reckon I've saved about $3,500 in fuel bills... and then spent that on Citylink tolls. d'oh!

TumTum, you have me intrigued as to where in Northern Vic you live to travel 115 km to work and use CityLink. You must like driving. Bendigo maybe?

Can you let me know if your fuel gauge moves much when you run full time switched to LPG? How many tanks of LPG would you go through before you have to refill the ULP fuel tank?

My ULP fuel gauge seems to be stuck on 1/2 a tank and doesn't seem to have budged for the last few days. (Admittedly I haven't done many k's)

The gauge still shows 1/2 a tank even when the engine is off and the key removed. I rang Holden and they said as long as it cycles down to empty and back on startup then all is normal, which it does.

If the gauge is correct I'm wrapped, if it's not and I get stuck having run out of ULP when the gauge says 1/2 full I won't be so wrapped. I'm resisting going down to full up on ULP whilst the prices are at their inflated Xmas rate, the only way I'll be sure the gauge is correct.

Maybe the fuel gauge is like the LPG lights, which stayed on 4 lights for ages, then went bang-bang-bang fairly quickly down to 1 flashing light. I got 504 km from full to 1 flashing light with stop/start driving.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
First question... SabbathSS, tank weighs 100Kg because it's a whole lotta steel, brackets and fittings - it really is a big-arsed piece of work taking up the whole width of the boot. I'd rather the weight than a big bang up the rear end! lol.

RochyBoy, I work in the SE suburbs so have to shoot thru to the other side of the city. I'm not as much a fan of the drive as I used to be... Lucky for the grandpa ride (Berlina) which makes it bearable. I prefer driving to Bendigo in my SV6 ute, but that's another story ;)

As for the ULP questions, I only ever fill up with 20 litres of ULP when the car starts moaning about 'low fuel' (just don't run out of ULP!!). I used to put in half a tank, but it used to go stale to the point where I had issues with surging and rough idle - esp in winter with temps close to zero. Best advice I can give you is only keep 20 litres max in the tank (if that) and use it up before it goes stale. I only use about 2-2.5 litres a day with two starts - I drive about 2-3 k each way before it switches over to gas. So, the gauge does stay put for ages (drops to 0 then back up on start too as it should).

The LPG gauge is next to useless so I use the 'distance to arrival' in the trip computer and have it set to 630k by default. I know when to fill up by how many k's left to go. Given I drive the same route daily, this works for me like a treat. Once the LPG meter starts flashing, I get almost exactly 50k. I put in ULP probably every two to three weeks - depends on how fast I chew up the petrol - more in cold weather, less in summer (the LPG kick in faster in warmer weather).