Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE wont start, unsure why

Lewis james

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE S1 sv6
So on new years eve morning family took my cat to shopping and she started fine, i was doing some cleaning to the car since i had just redone roof upholstery
It started up fine back it up to the garage, after i finished when to start her up and move her all i got was a single click...
Tried a couple more time just a click so hocked up partners car to see if jump starting would work.. nope
Thought maybe i drained battery so i charged battery over news years came home that morning and still wont start just a click
What could be happening?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
charge you battery
i would think your replacement battery was low also

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
chuck a multimeter on that battery
12.6v good
less than 12.2v no good
starter motors dont normally just die

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Be extremely careful jump starting a VE. I wouldn’t do it. Voltage spikes will easily cook any one of the myriad of CANbus modules required to talk to each other for the car to start.

Only way forward is getting a bidirectional scan tool on it to see what modules are talking and what codes are present relating to them.

Lewis james

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE S1 sv6
chuck a multimeter on that battery
12.6v good
less than 12.2v no good
starter motors dont normally just die
Yea went and got a multimeter and it was at 12.5-12.6
Think .ight be at alternator or starter motor but im not sure how to check them tho

Lewis james

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE S1 sv6
Be extremely careful jump starting a VE. I wouldn’t do it. Voltage spikes will easily cook any one of the myriad of CANbus modules required to talk to each other for the car to start.

Only way forward is getting a bidirectional scan tool on it to see what modules are talking and what codes are present relating to them.
Im not sure what half of thos words mean however ill do some research and see and ill look into getting one of thos bidirectional scan tool
Thanks

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Throughout the car there quite a few task dedicated small computers (modules) They have sensitive components in them.

The car uses a computer network. Like a home network or the one in big work places. It’s called a CANbus (network).

Each of the modules talk to each other and like a wifi or network password, they are also linked using your cars Vehicle Identification Number as a password.

If one of those modules is not talking or communicating correctly on the network the car may not start depending on which module is missing in action or not communicating correctly.

Jump starting a car made in the last 20 years is fraught with danger. Voltage spikes through the network can damage components very easily.

Invesitgating the car’s network is done with a tool that plugs into the car at the top of the drivers side foot well. It will be able to access codes logged by the main computer in the car (an ECM). That is what a simple cheap scan tool does. The car pushes data to the tool.

A bi-directional scan tool is fkn expensive. At the high end of the scan tool shopping list. They can get into the cars system and push data into the cars network, commanding various modules and functions of the car to test and read data. They are bi-directional because they send and receive data.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
The click could be the starter solenoid...in the old days sometimes giving the starter a tap would get you to the service centre or back home... Doesnt work always but is worth a shot if you get stuck somewhere...

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
you will need someone confident with a multimeter to see what is happening