Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VEII USB audio - starts from folder 1, track 1 every time...

ACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VEII Sportwagon
Hey all, proud owner of a new VEII SV6 Sportwagon. Still getting to grips with the IQ system, but pretty impressed so far.

One problem however - whenever the car is turned on, the USB audio restarts from the very start, ie folder 1, track 1, rather than just picking up where it left off...

Now, am I just missing a very obvious configuration option somewhere, or has Holden really missed this fundamental feature with IQ?

Cheers.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Not sure about the VE2, but when i had a loan-a-heap while my car was being looked at, I know the Cruze I was driving did that - even with an ipod. Drove me up the fkn wall! But then.. so did the rest of the car! lol

Not sure if that's any help ...

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
YEP THE iPod/iPhone IS THE SAME WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN ITS SO ANNOYING........ i have heard the start of the same song on the top of my songs list i think 100 times now lol......

Wallace44

TRAWESOME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SS Ute
YEP THE iPod/iPhone IS THE SAME WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN ITS SO ANNOYING........ i have heard the start of the same song on the top of my songs list i think 100 times now lol......

MY VEII SS doesn't play my ipod from the very beginning each time.

I have an ipod nano plugged into it...

If i remove the ipod from the usb, take it inside and then go plug it back in again - it starts from the beginning... but if i just leave it in the centre console, plugged in the whole time - it picks up where i left off.

Not sure about the straight USB stick option though.

ACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VEII Sportwagon
Logged a cust. support request with Holden - they called this morning, here's what they said:

"It's probably because the USB stick doesn't have enough memory to remember where it was".

WTF??? Now I know a thing or two about computers, and I'm sure that a) the setting for where the player was up to is not stored on the USB stick itself, and b) even if it was, it would be a comparatively tiny file anyway.

Complete BS - and I told the guy so. He just said "if you have any more problems, don't hesitate to call back". Sounds to me like it is a design oversight that they know about and they CBF fixing it.

HellSoldier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6
Actually the iPod is a stand alone device which does remember what to output.

A USB device is a Hard Drive. You turn on a hard drive it starts reading from sector 0, not were it last read from. Makes a lot of sense in my mind.

Wallace44

TRAWESOME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SS Ute
Logged a cust. support request with Holden - they called this morning, here's what they said:

"It's probably because the USB stick doesn't have enough memory to remember where it was".

WTF??? Now I know a thing or two about computers, and I'm sure that a) the setting for where the player was up to is not stored on the USB stick itself, and b) even if it was, it would be a comparatively tiny file anyway.

Complete BS - and I told the guy so. He just said "if you have any more problems, don't hesitate to call back". Sounds to me like it is a design oversight that they know about and they CBF fixing it.

Being a computer tech - the holden guy is partially right.
It has nothing to do with the available memory though.

Like Hellsoldier said - it will read from the very beginning of the USB stick everytime it tries to read. A computer does this by default, the IQ system is just another computer and will do the same thing.
They could possibly program it in to do it - but probably won't ever happen.

ACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VEII Sportwagon
Actually the iPod is a stand alone device which does remember what to output.

A USB device is a Hard Drive. You turn on a hard drive it starts reading from sector 0, not were it last read from. Makes a lot of sense in my mind.

Yep, absolutely agree with that logic. However, these kinds of things are typically programmed to resume where they left off - both of my MP3 players do, my media centre does, my dvd player does and even my 12 year old portable CD player does. That they seem to have 'forgotten' to include this feature in IQ is pretty poor form... It's a 'tick the box' not an 'optional' as far as I'm concerned...

Wallace44

TRAWESOME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SS Ute
Something else to "ponder";

Your dvd player etc all have power on still when you can resume. If you pull the plug out the wall - i can almost guarantee that it won't still have the resume feature.
Not to mention, if you take the dvd out of the player and put it back in (effectively what you are doing when you turn the car off / on) it won't have the resume feature either.

Not saying i don't want the feature - but it might not be as easy as "change a feature" and be done with it. The car will then have to "memorise" what stick it had in it, then when it powers on - ensure that the stick it has in it now is the same one... then hopefully the sectors on the disk haven't changed at all and try and play the music.

On your CD player - perhaps a different story as the sectors etc don't change on a regular basis. When you turn the power off, the laser is in a particular spot - turn it on... all it needs to do is turn the laser back on.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I play a USB stick in my car (Axis cd player) and it does remember where it was each and every time, you have to remember the stereo still has power from the battery. The only time it restarts is when I pull the usb stick out or disconnect the battery which makes sense.