Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VEII USB audio - starts from folder 1, track 1 every time...

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
It would be easy to add this as a software feature. The computer on the car could store the full file name and path on the memoty stick, as a string. It would also store the current file played location as a datetime field. Each USB stick has a unique ID too, so you can store that to identify a stick.

When you start the stereo, it would check the USB device ID. If that matches, it would look for the file stored in the filepath memory. if it found it, and determined that the played location field is valid, then wullah - play it! Not rocket science, and the fields you store would take sweet FA memory.

Wallace44

TRAWESOME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SS Ute
just out of curiosity - how the hell do you get the IQ to play stuff on a USB stick?

I have a 16gb USB stick that I put a bunch of music on (simply for the benefit of this thread :)) and it said "USB Stick is Empty"..... am I missing something?

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive never played with the IQ.. that might change tomorrow though...

Are the files on the USB stick MP3's? Perhaps the IQ does a search for files it understands... It might not like WMA or MP4 files.

ACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VEII Sportwagon
just out of curiosity - how the hell do you get the IQ to play stuff on a USB stick?

I have a 16gb USB stick that I put a bunch of music on (simply for the benefit of this thread :)) and it said "USB Stick is Empty"..... am I missing something?

Two things to look at:
1. What's the file format of the USB stick? IQ doesn't recognise NTFS, only FAT32
2. IQ will only recognise up to 999 files on a USB stick - the rest it just ignores. In practical terms @~4MB/song this equates to a 4GB USB stick being the largest usable (depending on bit rate etc). Although yours is saying 'empty' so likely not that...

My guess is that your USB stick is NTFS...

(for the record, IQ will read WMA's. MP3's as well of course, but no OGG's, AAC's etc etc)

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gee you'd have to go out of your way to format a USB stick with NTFS. They all (mostly) come as FAT32 by default.

Along these same lines, it could be a USB stick formatted with a Mac. Or Linux, but I think Linux can get away with FAT32 easily.

Wallace44

TRAWESOME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SS Ute
Gee you'd have to go out of your way to format a USB stick with NTFS. They all (mostly) come as FAT32 by default.

Along these same lines, it could be a USB stick formatted with a Mac. Or Linux, but I think Linux can get away with FAT32 easily.

Not really.

I format everything in NTFS, because i'm often moving large ISO's around. FAT32 has max file size of 4gb... which means an 8gb ISO of a dual layer DVD doesn't go so good on FAT32.

Anyway - if it can only read FAT32, that's the issue.

thanks again.

Richo923

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2 UTE
Dunno about the "geek speak" but what I have found is that if i leave the ipod/iphone connected when i turn teh car off when starting it next time it remembers where it was, its when i disconnect the iphone/ipod then reconnect before starting then it goes back to the begining, but then i have the orig iphone 3g and an old ipod 80gb brick, but thought that might help