Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

very slow crank when hot

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
hey guys, i've noticed previously that, occasionally, when the car is hot and been driven for a while it's really slow to crank over. by this i mean really really slow. one crank took like 3 seconds, and this can happen for like 3 cranks. then it starts up a bit dodgy, but runs fine. usually between 1/4 and 1/2 temperature reading... anyone know anything about this lol?? it happened twice today...

funny thing is, when the engine is cold, it starts perfect. as mentioned above, this only happens occasionally. like once a month kinda thing. otherwise it's fine... any suggestions?

Your starter motor is drawing excessive current, basically its shot. I had exactly the same problem with my berlina, cold starting was fine, but hot starting was extremely slow, exactly as you describe. Probably a good idea to get the starter replaced asap, as drawing the excess current will not only kill your battery, but will burn out the wiring from the battery to the starter.... I found out the hard way and had to have it all replaced.

H

haynze

this hppened to me a little while ago i got the starter motor fixed n it still done it then i got a new battery and it runs perfect now...isuggest swapping the battery for a day n see if it runs beta

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
do one of them diagnostic tests with the paper clips? it might come up with somethin... Mine has the same problem as urs aswell although I am not worrying at this moment, will fix in a few weeks or so, someone mentioned to me crank angle sensor and this also comes up when i run the diagnostic test so I guess that must be my problem, might be the starter motor too? but I will be gettin a new battery etc aswell when I fix it because im sure my battery is pretty old anyway. Hope this gives u a little help :) good luck mate

hotVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
I just had a similar problem with my VT. It was the starter, the battery is brand new and alternator working fine but starter was pulling heaps out of the battery when hot. It has been slow to crank when warm for a while (12months?) but eventually gave up the ghost. I'd get the starter checked out. I was still able to jump start her when hot but she was not happy...

davegos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
I've got the problem, and that is after getting the starter fixed and a new battery fitted. Only when it's hot though!

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I've got the problem, and that is after getting the starter fixed and a new battery fitted. Only when it's hot though!

Could still be a faulty starter, but my money would be on the wiring between the starter motor & battery, its probably shot to shreds, and when it gets hot, the resistance goes out the window....

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If your battery is ok, check the connection where your positive battery terminal connects to the starter motor, this can cause slow cranking and have seen this problem on a few VS commodores that wind over slowly when the battery shows to be ok, just undo the nut that holds the cable to the starter motor (of course disconnecting the battery first) then wire brush the end of the lead and the bolt/terminal on the starter motor.

vrcalais5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais 5ltr
> starter motor <

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
hey guys, i've noticed previously that, occasionally, when the car is hot and been driven for a while it's really slow to crank over. by this i mean really really slow. one crank took like 3 seconds, and this can happen for like 3 cranks. then it starts up a bit dodgy, but runs fine. usually between 1/4 and 1/2 temperature reading... anyone know anything about this lol?? it happened twice today...

funny thing is, when the engine is cold, it starts perfect. as mentioned above, this only happens occasionally. like once a month kinda thing. otherwise it's fine... any suggestions?

I know its been a while however you didnt say what the problem was in the end, I would even think it could be a head gasket problem as if oil mixes with water car becomes gunked up causing vehicle to turn over slow, possibly just a spark plug replacement as well, another thing is people rarely clean there throttle body and can cause your car to not even start at all, faulty ignition can also be a cause, most likely starter motor however please tell us what it was , otherwise why ask for help the solutions can help others