Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

very tempremental aircon / heater on my vt

mattbombers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
ok so bought my vt (2000 executive) last week,
the air con sometimes stops blowing out of the vents? you can hear it still running just randomly stops flowing out without touching anything.
and secondly the heater has no heat.
im thinking il just take it be re-gassed and see if they have any other suggestions unless there is some thing i can try myself. (not afraid to spin some spanners and keen to learn)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Re-gassing won't help the heating issue as it is not like your home reverse cycle air conditioning. The heating is done by the hot water in the engine, that is why it takes a fair while to get heat out of it. A possible cause is a faulty heater tap, it is in the engine bay one the driver's side and has 4 hoses attached.
Your vent position problem will be a vacuum issue. The first place to check is the thin vacuum hose that should be connected at the rear of the intake manifold. If that is ok then it could be the vacuum solenoid.

mattbombers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ahk I looked at me mates vt and anoter mates vx and figured The heater problem, coming out of the front of the engine where the 2 hoses are meant to come out there's just 1 bridging it back into it self. Dunno why the previous owner done this and not sure if I wanna lol .

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ahk I looked at me mates vt and anoter mates vx and figured The heater problem, coming out of the front of the engine where the 2 hoses are meant to come out there's just 1 bridging it back into it self. Dunno why the previous owner done this and not sure if I wanna lol .
The main reason people do the bypass is because the heater core is leaking, I hope for your sake that this is not the case as it is a big job to replace it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
the water hose's?
i did the same thing to mine with the water hose's when the heater controller thing shiit itself... . i just bridged it so i could get around without a leak till brought the new controller. but just left it and never replaced it.... the old owner may have been a tight ass like me :D

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
when ya vents stop working is there a hissssss coming from it till it starts to work again????

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
I had a similar problem with my 98 VT exec. the blower fan would just randomly stop then a short time later would start again, it turned out to be a thermal switch on the blower motor, if the motor gets too hot the switch will open and stop the motor until it cools down again. I replaced the blower motor, and never had another problem with it. pick up a second hand blower motor and fan from wrecker for $20 - 6 years on and it's still going.