Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 2 Redline very very rough at startup wont start

ant555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline Manual
HI all ive got a 2016 redline man and it wouldnt start properly it turned over coughing very rough like it had a huge cam and was starved of fuel or air was a weird vacuming sound and couldnt get it to rev over bout 700 foot down has happened before and i just drove it coughing and it cleared today after this it wouldnt actaully turn over just sat on starter 3 months ago fuel pump went and was replaced by holden have noticed the fuel cap doesnt always stay screwed on and throughs an engine light appreciate any insights will look to upgrade fuel sustem as cam goes in in november by harrop and exhaust ect

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am now gasping for breath after reading this ;)

It sound like fuel problem. Does it crank normally or it struggles ?

ant555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline Manual
I am now gasping for breath after reading this ;)

It sound like fuel problem. Does it crank normally or it struggles ?
my thought is fuel
didnt crank over properly felt starved on the rare 2 out of 6 atteempts it did start as such it was splutering bad and sounded like a vacum suction noise through exhaust sort of air popping sound then next attempt it would not fire up
when started i couldnt get it to rev up at all regardless of throttle position just coughed and choked
fuel pump is 3 months old now thinking bad fuel bad injecters

appriciate the response cheers Ron :)

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Could you have dropped a valve spring?

this happened in my SRT and the valve broke, but collapsed on itself. The symptoms were the same as you described

ant555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline Manual
Could you have dropped a valve spring?

this happened in my SRT and the valve broke, but collapsed on itself. The symptoms were the same as you described
ohh jesus i hope not
more thinking its fuel pressure fuel to all 8 or its air if i was mark skaife its a plastic bag lol

ant555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline Manual
ohh jesus i hope not
more thinking its fuel pressure fuel to all 8 or its air if i was mark skaife its a plastic bag lol
if it was valve spring it would fully
start

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
HI all ive got a 2016 redline man and it wouldnt start properly it turned over coughing very rough like it had a huge cam and was starved of fuel or air was a weird vacuming sound and couldnt get it to rev over bout 700 foot down has happened before and i just drove it coughing and it cleared today after this it wouldnt actaully turn over just sat on starter 3 months ago fuel pump went and was replaced by holden have noticed the fuel cap doesnt always stay screwed on and throughs an engine light appreciate any insights will look to upgrade fuel sustem as cam goes in in november by harrop and exhaust ect
When the pump failed the first time, did Holden just change the pump? Or did they replace the wiring harness between the FPCM and the pump as well?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Do you have a ODB2 scanner or similar? Do a scan and see if the car has flagged any issues.

If you are in anyway mechanically inclined, remove the rocker covers and have a look. A broken spring or rocker arm will be obvious on a close inspection. It may well not be anything to do with the valve train, but it’s easy enough to check for peace of mind.

ant555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Redline Manual
When the pump failed the first time, did Holden just change the pump? Or did they replace the wiring harness between the FPCM and the pump as well?
not entirely sure but i will certinally ask could that have caused an issue

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
not entirely sure but i will certinally ask could that have caused an issue
I had my pump replaced under warranty a couple of months ago.
The usual problem is the connector on the pump develops a high resistance, overheats, and starts to distort. Causes an open circuit.
The dealer had a pump in stock, but needed to get a new harness. Took a few days.