Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais Insurance

HiDDeN

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais
Hey all!

I've been driving my 2015 VF Calais for a few years now and im just starting to do some modifications to her. I contacted my insurance to see if my modifications would void my insurance and low and behold, they wont insure me with my mods.

I'm only planning to install lowering springs and eventually an OTR and a catback exhaust system.

Which insurance companies do you guys recommend that allow modifications?

Also I'm 22 years old.

Cheers

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Every insurer is different .......... length of time you have held your licence, driving record, nominated drivers, where you live, where the car is kept.
You are going to have to contact them individually, personally, with no BS which could come back to bite you at the wrong time.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
No insurance company likes it when you modify your car (especially if you’re under 25) and will ream you on insurance regardless.

Not too sure on who will cover younger drivers but I’d honestly leave it stock at least until you are 25. Not what you want to hear but you will pay quite a lot more in premiums on a modified vehicle just because of the category of driver that it puts you in.

I pay over $1500 a year in premiums on my SSV because it’s modified (cold air intake, extractors, exhaust and tune) even though I’m over 40 and have a squeaky clean driving record. Insurance would be about half that if the car was unmodified.

Last edited:

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
try shannons

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The OP needs to tread very carefully.

It’s a bit unclear from the post if the mods have been done or are in the process of being done, or are plans. It’s also unclear if the existing insurance company has actual ‘cancelled the insurance policy’ or is ‘refusing insurance’ or is saying that they would do so if the modification were to proceed.

I suspect that insurance companies share an awful lot of information on their own clients with other insurance companies (many of them are owned by a common company). So, be very careful with how you answer those seemingly routine questions.

The potential minefield is if the existing insurer has formally recorded that they are ‘cancelling’ or ‘refusing’ insurance. When calling another company they are going to ask a question about whether the applicant has had insurance declined or cancelled from another company. If you answer wrong, you will going further in to the minefield - not only have you been previously declined/refused, but now you are also being dishonest with the potential new insurance company. They’ll probably decline to insure you (perhaps saying something innocuous such as we don’t insure that make/model), but they could well note that you answered their screening questions untruthfully. And on it goes.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
--^ +100

Whatever one does, one should always be truthful when applying for insurance.

If you aren't 100% truthful, they'll happily take your money and then decline any at fault claim you make on the grounds you withheld vital information, information that may have resulted in them declining to insurance you ... In such cases you'll possibly get your premium back but that's hardly a consolation when you have hugely costly repair bills on your own car and the Ferrari you smashed into :eek:

Really all young blokes with high premiums on even a bog standard POS car should make it clear to his insurnace company that he's dropped any plans to modify his vehicle and will remain standard while keeping it very well maintained and super clean... That way if he is ever in an unfortunate at fault collision he'll be able to claim a higher payout for the very well maintained and super clean bog standard ar should they write it off...

And when he gets older, he can buy something more exciting which he'd be able to afford to properly mod and insure. And with the wisdom of age he'll be in a more sensible mindframe so wont be seen as a Fangoi on the roads driving risk (which is why young guys pay such hign premiums).

Best stick to tow bars and tinted windows for now and spend your money chasing skirts rather than boy racers :p

HiDDeN

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais
Just an update.

I’ve changed my insurance to one from NRMA under my mothers name (me as a secondary driver). When I was filling out the quote online I selected that the vehicle was modified (it hadn’t been at the time but I was planning to modify once I changed policy) and the option for lowered suspension over 5cm from stock was the only option for suspension mods, my new springs will only be lowering the car by 3.5cm. After selecting these options they came out to a very respectable price one that was similar to the original provider who wouldn’t let me modify in the first place.

Also when I was talking to the original insurance provider I hadn’t yet done any mods and informed them I was confirming whether or not if I did modify my car then would it void my insurance.

I’m currently installing my new springs (a little more difficult than expected but it’s been a fun learning experience) and will be doing no further mods until I’m 25.

Cheers for the responses guys, this forum is extremely useful.