Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais Towbar

Ratten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I have a 2014 VF1 Calais Sedan and am in need of installing a tow bar.

I want the 2100kg hitch, but have been reading that the Calais and Commodore hitches are somewhat different.

What are the differences?

Cheers Tom

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'd be interested to know the answer, too.
Wonder if it's just a difference in the piece of trim which neatens-up the hole they put in the rear bumper (ie. because of a different rear bar shape)?

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
As far as im aware, the 1600kg and 2100kg bars are the same - the only difference is the addition of the load distribution hitch

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As far as im aware, the 1600kg and 2100kg bars are the same - the only difference is the addition of the load distribution hitch
I think he's saying that he's been informed that the Commodore 1600kg bar differs from the Calais 1600kg bar - and is asking whether that's true (and if so - how).

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'd be interested to know the answer, too.
Wonder if it's just a difference in the piece of trim which neatens-up the hole they put in the rear bumper (ie. because of a different rear bar shape)?
That would be my guess as well. Maybe the receiver is a little longer or shorter due to bumper profile. Another possibility is if the reference is to a base Commodore 3.0 where the car is rated no more than 1600Kg, whereas a 3.6 as in a Calais and SV6 are 2100Kg if weight Distribution Hitch is being used. In the case of factory bars the only difference for 1600Kg or 2100Kg is the addition of Weight Distribution Hitch.

irdonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I believe they are the same for all sedans. The flexible trim that neatens up the hole is included with the sedans whereas the wagons require what I believe is called a rim slip.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
I had the 1200KG hitch.
It use aluminium part that slides into chassis.
I upgraded to the 2100KG bar and its all solid metal. I used to have a installation photos on JC don't know how to find.

Calais bar is the same as other sedan bars no difference.

Ratten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I got an OEM from holden and they definitely are the same bars for all sedans.
The only different part is a fascia plate... which golden ordered the wrong one for my bumper

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Is It easy to install on vf commodore evoke
I'd say not that difficult, but you do need to remove the bumper to fit the tow bar. I've done it on a VE, on the VE there is a phillips screw right at the top of the bumper in the wheel arch, and also I think two of those push pins (scrivets I think they are called) inside the rear wheel arch. There is also 3 scrivets at the rear bottom of the bumper. When you remove these, to get the bumper off, from either side at the top of the rear wheel arch give a firm pull of the bumper away from the body and repeat on the other side - this will leave the the bumper still attached across the rear, similar to the sides pull the bumper away from the body - there are clips a little below the boot lid, like the sides, the bumper needs to be pulled away from body to release the clips. Once the bumper is off you'll see an aluminium bar across the back of the car below the boot lid. That aluminium bar needs to be refitted to the tow bar once it's been installed. There are bolts under the boot carpet to allow that aluminium bars brackets to be removed. If it's just a 1200Kg bar you don't need to remove the rear mufflers (or for a VF Omega I assume just one muffler), if it's 1600 KG bar then there is a bolt to be fitted directly above the muffler, so the muffler needs to be removed to install that bolt on each side.
Try a search, as there have been similar threads before and you might pick up some more info than I've written, and also differences from VE to VF.