Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF CalaisV - Push to Start green but engine not running and locking gives horn beeps.

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Hi crew,
Got a wierd problem that has now happened twice and just trying to figure out if its something I am doing or a wierd bug in the car.

1) I lock the car and walk away \ duck into the shops or something
2) after a period of time (varies between minutes to hours) - I come back to the car and using proximity unlock .. open a door
3) I grab a wallet from console (front doors) - or put something into the boot...
4) I walk away and the car proximity locks

5) A few minutes later I come back to the car and remote or proximity unlock the car
6) I jump in, push the START button and the engine DOESNT START
- the "START" button however DOES go green - and pressing again to "STOP" does nothing
- Once, I noticed the Engine management light is on - hasnt refused to start again today so cannot verify if the light ALWAYS comes on.
- if I open the door . there are warning "Ding ding ding" chimes (about something - maybe lights? keys?)
- if I get out and lock the car, unlock - still nothing - the green START light is on and cannot start the engine
- when relocking the car (above) - the horn sounds a number of beeps in quick succession (but I dont have horn notification activated for ANY unlocking or locking)
- ALL other interior functions like Mylink and Driver displays are active and work scrolling through menus sand settings.
- NO displays have any Errors or warnings about alarms, doors, etc (apart from the very "rare" occurrence of an engine management light)

The car then appears "frozen" in this state and cannot start\shutdown
Due to the horn sounding and seeming unable to start - makes me think the car has been immobilized some how.. but I get no warning??
After a period of time .. or some sequence of me start\stoping, unlocking, locking -- basically just trying everything for a few minutes - the car starts up fine and has no issues\errors.

Drives fine once it restarts, full charged battery, no fuel management issues, no codes, no warning lights.

Its done it more than once and I cannot figure out if it has something to do with me not unlocking\locking car properly and somehow the car gets its to thinking I am trying to 'break in' and refuse to start the engine?

Last edited:

Tenpinrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Try sticking your key fob in the port in the centre console. That usually solves the confusion

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Try sticking your key fob in the port in the centre console. That usually solves the confusion

I did try that - nothing seemed to occur or change, eg. the Start button didnt stop the car, nor start the engine etc.

Does this mean you have seen \ heard of this 'confusion' before?

timmybrown

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ssv redline
I would say weird bug. I have push button start as well and yet to have a drama with it. Except when i forget to depress clutch. Oops

Tenpinrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Not quite like your but the port trick sorted it. Maybe the dealer can see if there are any fault codes.

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Thanks all... will be sure to do the key port thing first and foremost if it occurs again and try and take note of anything else, as intially wasn't expecting this to occur and consequently wasn't really paying attention to the sequence etc.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Take it back to a dealer - Warranty Claim. Good luck.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Other thing you can try is pull the steering wheel one way or the other. The electric steering lock can bind if the wheel is hard up against the lock (so no different to the old key-based locks). If you take the tension off the steering lock it might help (if that's what's causing it). Won't always give an error for the steering lock binding.

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
@ Smashfist - Issue happened again and yep - the steering wheel was at full "lock", and couldnt be "unlocked any further".
At first I did get a message about steering wheel - so a forced it just a little (made a soft-clunk and freed up a little)
- steering wheel message disappeared but still wouldnt start.

So .. in sequence..
Brake Pedal + "Start" - Green light but no "Vrroom"
Steering wheel - twist away from lock position
"Stop" or Brake Pedal + "Start"
- no luck either try
Insert Key into Console slot.
"Stop - No Brake" - no luck
Brake Pedal + "Start" - No luck

Pull Key, lock car, walk away more than 2 meters, - Leave Key on Ground - walk back to car.
Car is locked, but full dash light up - as if car is in "Remote start" mode without engine running.

Walk back to key, remote unlock car, Get Inside

- Put Key into Console Port (does nothing)
Brake Pedal + "Start"
- Dash lights\radio seem to "reset" - light still green - no engine running

Press "Stop" to attempt a full restart...
YAY !! "Stop" - Works .. everything shuts down

Brake Pedal + "Start" - Winnah !! Vrrrrroooommm!!

PROJECT21

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CAPRICE
Hello
I'm new to this
I've got a WN CAPRICE with the exact same problem
I know it's a bit late but did you get fixed and if so what was the problem
Thanks