Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF / Chevy SS wrap-up

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reaper....exactly right for those calling for Abbott and Hockey to be sacked, and blame the gov at the time need to open their eyes.

1. GM milked us tax payers for a long time, one day the Gov had to say enough is enough.
2. No body hear talks about the Unions driving up the cost of Labor in this country to the point its cheaper to build in China.
3. How many brand new Holden Commodores have you guys owned over the years?

At the end of the day i believe it was a myriad of things that combined to form the perfect storm, from Holden to GM, to the Gov. And lets be
honest none of us mere mortals will ever know the truth will we, and i dont care who knows someone who washed the dog of the hairdresser
who cut the hair of the boss of Holden. Ive owned a GTR Torana and a couple of V8 commodore over the years, plus i might add a Falcon XR6 Turbo too. The real tragedy here is that we have some of the best engineers in the world, and we cant display our talents anymore.
Im just glad ive got the last of the mighty Commodore SS ever built by Holden, what a car it is, we should all be celebrating that.

Australia never will be nor want's to be cheap labour and simply won't ever compete on that basis. What needs to happen is for us to gain other competitive advantages along side a few that we already have. Lower corporate tax rates along side reduced payroll tax and the like is something that is very do'able but unfortunately most of the left can't see the forest for the trees and I'm fair certain it will be voted down.

Bottom line is business will go to what works for them - stable government (yes we have that via world standards although Daniel Andrews did immeasurable damage by reneging on signed contracts that will cost us for decades). Low taxes and a skilled flexible work force are gold to them. These are all achievable from within Australia if we wanted to, without compromising on our OHS and wage rates. Sadly it won't happen though.

And for the record, new Commodores I have had (mostly company cars): VS Acclaim, VXII SS, VYII SS, VE SSV (qty 2), E3 Senator.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Australia never will be nor want's to be cheap labour and simply won't ever compete on that basis. What needs to happen is for us to gain other competitive advantages along side a few that we already have. Lower corporate tax rates along side reduced payroll tax and the like is something that is very do'able but unfortunately most of the left can't see the forest for the trees and I'm fair certain it will be voted down.

Bottom line is business will go to what works for them - stable government (yes we have that via world standards although Daniel Andrews did immeasurable damage by reneging on signed contracts that will cost us for decades). Low taxes and a skilled flexible work force are gold to them. These are all achievable from within Australia if we wanted to, without compromising on our OHS and wage rates. Sadly it won't happen though.

And for the record, new Commodores I have had (mostly company cars): VS Acclaim, VXII SS, VYII SS, VE SSV (qty 2), E3 Senator.
The Company tax rate for companies carrying on a business with <$25m turnover has reduced to 27.5% for 2018/19. It's a start. Reducing direct taxes for corporates and individuals, and increasing indirect taxes is a positive step towards economic growth and inward investment. Like I said, the federal government needs to level the playing field, so we can further develop our comparative advantages and complete on a global scale. You're right. Lower wages equates to a lower standard of living and it's the blue collars that suffer most. Nobody wants that. We simply can't compete on that basis.
If the Fed's and the State's don't position us as a place to invest, the future looks very dim.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
3. How many brand new Holden Commodores have you guys owned over the years?

Ummm, about 15 plus 5 of my father's. Plus my fathers history of pretty much every second Holden model. Plus my uncle's series of Holdens. I am holding back further comments on politicians directly and also the obvious comments that should be made on the subsidies provided for other car manufacturing countries. This was one of our very few advanced manufacturing industries. Let's be consistent and remove all subsidies foir all industries, products and pressure groups - I guess I have little respect left for any politician. Whilst the payment and benefits agreement I have seen for Holden staff was generous, including engineers, we surely do not want to go down the path of being a low wage economy.