Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF / Chevy SS wrap-up

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Unfortunately there are things I cannot state in an open forum as to what was going to happen and who screwed who. I can tell you now that everything you talked about was on the table based on the discussions with the government. The biggest culprit here is, as you rightly stated, the PM. Holden and GM had a plan for survival, it did include the local build of the Commodore and another 2 car lines from memory and rightly so one was a softroader 4x4. Hell they even squeezed a twin turbo v6 under an insignia and tried to get that to work.

Its just unfortunate that the public really has no idea how much work went into the back end to keep **** running here, including from the powers in the US. To have Mike Deveraux break down in delivering the news to the staff locally and SA speaks volumes. I am pissed for my kids and the future generations. The core of manufacturing has been ripped apart and we have no comeback. They talk about bespoke engineering taking over but its still not the same in the long run.
Yeah it pisses me off beyond words. As I've said many times, our economy and future employment of (dying) skills and labour will be impacted for a generation. Probably well beyond. Yet, I still hold out a glimer of hope that our once great manufacturing sector can be resurrected. But then I have an INTP personality that tends towards optimism. One thing is certain, the federal government raped our vehicle manufacturing industry. Then set about creating genocide. All the while the other parties and the bulk of the population stood by and let them do it. Then walked away, after years of turning their backs on our home grown products and the very talented men and women who took great pride in what they created. Even the bulk of members here on JC would argue that Holden died, because it became irrelevant. It's hogwash. Holden, Ford and Toyota Australia all had the capability to manufacture and export world class vehicles well into the future. What they needed was a Govt willing to create a trade environment that allowed them to get on with it. To compete. Sadly, they did the opposite.
I don't see an industry built around bespoke engineering even coming close to filling the void that's left. Mark my words, my Grandchildren and their generation will look back on this as one of the most important issues that created a future, (despite my optimism) very different from the current state of excess.
I have completed individual tax returns for a prior PM, held numerous meetings with their deputies, ministers, in govt and opposition and their key advisors. Whether I agreed with their rhetoric or not, I always showed them respect. Should I ever find myself in Turnbull's presence however, I will not afford him the same.
I hope the facts you refer to see the light of day. Sooner rather than later.
You have insights most of us will never be privy to Arthur. I'd love to discuss it with you over a beer one day.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Mate the only thing I would say to the above is Abbott needs to cop it on the automotive front and Turnbull on the NBN front. I never expected Turnbull to be the puppet he has turned out to be.

My wife endured an enormously emotional time, all I could do was lend an ear. Via osmosis I became a pseudo GM employee. I distinctly remember being in the room with her when she and Deveraux agreed it was time to pull the andon cord on manufacturing here thanks to Hockey and his smug antics in parliament.

Just to relive it again....
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ldens-exit-from-australia-20131211-2z6i6.html

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Whether I agreed with their rhetoric or not, I always showed them respect.

Ever thought about a bomb in a brief case? You would be doing a great public service!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Mate the only thing I would say to the above is Abbott needs to cop it on the automotive front and Turnbull on the NBN front. I never expected Turnbull to be the puppet he has turned out to be.

My wife endured an enormously emotional time, all I could do was lend an ear. Via osmosis I became a pseudo GM employee. I distinctly remember being in the room with her when she and Deveraux agreed it was time to pull the andon cord on manufacturing here thanks to Hockey and his smug antics in parliament.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ldens-exit-from-australia-20131211-2z6i6.html

The outcome was inevitable, the GM board has lost interest in every market apart from China, North and South America...

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
The outcome was inevitable, the GM board has lost interest in every market apart from China, North and South America...

Mate the stories I can tell you about that too! Unfortunately for my wife she became the Grim Reaper for all those markets you didn't mention....

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride

Freudian slip.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
We are in absolute agreement. The Govt screwed up big time. Those responsible, including the PM should have been sacked. It doesn't explain GM not getting behind the SS in the US though. Or why TT36, or the other Zeta based variants including the SUV were given the kybosh. Nor why Holden was forced to flood our market with Daewoo crap and severely tarnish the brand and the company's reputation.

426Cuda Its a common Misconception that the government screwed us, but thats not true.

For years and years GM had been threatening the government saying ,if you dont fund us, we will close shop and hundreds of Australians will lose their jobs. So for years the gov was handing GM around 80 to 100 Mil a year to keep the doors open, this went on for nearly 15 years. So where do you think that money went? straight to the greedy share holders in the USA, the Libs were just brave enough to say enough is enough.

GM build some good cars, but why do you think they went broke? Cos their ran like a circus. I will never buy a GM product again.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No, but I'd happily shove a cracker up their arses.
If that’s a Chicken Crimpy it won’t hurt much ... but if you’re talking about somehow getting a fully-grown southern USA redneck into someone’s bottom then that’s going to hurt like hell.

For years and years GM had been threatening the government saying ,if you dont fund us, we will close shop and hundreds of Australians will lose their jobs. So for years the gov was handing GM around 80 to 100 Mil a year to keep the doors open, this went on for nearly 15 years. So where do you think that money went? straight to the greedy share holders in the USA, the Libs were just brave enough to say enough is enough.
This is pure Liberal Party marketing. There is some tiny bit of truth in it, which is the best way to lie.

Australia got more just in tax from GM’s operations here than Australia put into GM’s operations here. That’s just tax, goes nowhere near taking into account keeping people employed, keeping skills here, export earnings, blah to the power of blah.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
426Cuda Its a common Misconception that the government screwed us, but thats not true.

GM build some good cars, but why do you think they went broke? Cos their ran like a circus. I will never buy a GM product again.
LS3 304 - That is exactly the ill informed back turning attitude I am referring to. I am Sorry, but it's not misconception it's fact. Of couse the motor vehicle manufacturing industry received govt funding. Do a bit of research and tell me which car manufacturer's don't? Read up on the Germans Govt's response to the VW debacle. The dozen or so Govts of countries that are still fortunate enough to have motor vehicle design and manufacturing (MVDM) support it because, like aerospace etc, it underpins so many pillars of their economy. Not only that, but direct taxes alone more than cover the support $ and with the economic multiplier effect it means it really saves them money! It's an investment in their future.
GM subsidised GMH. Not the other way round. GM wasn't reliant on dividends from GMH.
Successive Fed Govts screwed our MVDM industry. The Libs just pulled the trigger for the last messy gut shot that ended it.
It's your choice what you buy mate. But I'll give you a wave as I blast past in my ZL1 LE as I give my Grand Daughter a lift to the dole queue. Now there's a waste of taxpayers money!

Last edited: