Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore Production Video

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
After watching these videos, it saddens me to see all the workforce skills, engineering and technical know-how, and robot infrastructure that have been lost to Australia. The VF was a good product for Australian conditions. It's a shame we don't have the population numbers to justify having our own car industry.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
all the workforce skills, engineering and technical know-how, and robot infrastructure that have been lost
… is a loss from a national security perspective :( even more so when manufacturing and supply lines were one strength that helped to win the last Great War:mad:

The fact the government (and opposition) of the time helped too speed up the closure just shows how much our politicians really thought of our national interest and security issues :mad:

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
After watching these videos, it saddens me to see all the workforce skills, engineering and technical know-how, and robot infrastructure that have been lost to Australia. The VF was a good product for Australian conditions. It's a shame we don't have the population numbers to justify having our own car industry.
Some great memories in that video!

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
The Holden Manufacturing Employee heritage team have put together a fantastic little museum in the old cafeteria at HVO. Was so cool to see a museum dedicated to the manufacturing side of Holden and car making.

The final VF2 Clay that was presented to management to approve VF2

IMG_5851.jpeg

VF assembly jigs. They really went above and beyond for fitment quality on VF (And seeing the garbage out there now with Tesla and the Chinesium EV's, no one has the right to call out the VF's for supposed poor fitment)
IMG_5840.jpeg
IMG_5839.jpeg
IMG_5841.jpeg

IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_5854.jpeg

A pilot production Chevy SS, that was saved from the crusher and restored by a local auto repairer.

IMG_5844.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg

And a pilot production Magnum (I think it was the first down the line)

Fun fact, that TV you see above the Magnum in the back ground, was donated by the family descendants of James Alexander Holden.

IMG_5843.jpeg

They also had a laptop playing video from within the manufacturing plant, and it was the best footage I have seen of the assembly process as it is FAR more detailed than anything else.

It has footage of the body shop pressing the panels (As in the GoPro's attached to the conveyer and going through the presses), paint shop painting not only the chassis's but also the bumpers and trims. And super detailed footage of the assembly process. Its a shame its not put together as a video for everyone to see.

After watching these videos, it saddens me to see all the workforce skills, engineering and technical know-how, and robot infrastructure that have been lost to Australia.

At the time of Holdens closure, only 13 countries on earth had the ability to design and manufacture a car from scratch. And I believe in all of history, only 1 country lost that ability.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Its a shame its not put together as a video for everyone to see.
It’s also a shame Holden took a lot of the HD video’s that they had on their web site including the HD quality VF limited edition videos. I wanted a copy of those later MSE HD videos and HCC referenced me to the poor quality video that came with the naff boxed giveaway I got with my car :rolleyes:

Really, all the history should have been kept as it was a national treasure or sorts but GM just wanted everything Holden forgotten so the new GM could come into our market smelling of roses rather than dog turds :mad: