Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF External Transmission Cooler Installation - Fluid Filling

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Hey all

Down to my final mechanical upgrade to my SV6, adding in the OEM external transmission cooler assembly

IMG_7238.jpg

(Ignore the black line on the radiator, that was from me editing the pic)

My question is regarding what's the best way to ensure the fluid is added correctly to the system?

Going through the service manual, it doesn't mention any fancy filling method, just to perform the usual fluid level check one would do when performing a filter change. I pre-filled the radiator with fluid and did a pressure check to confirm no leaks. Am I over thinking it regarding getting fluid into the rest of the system? Given the bypass block will be closed until it gets up to temp, will the fluid just flow through the system as normal once up to temp?

Part of me worries about it getting an air lock somewhere and not flowing back to the trans, but given there is pump pressure behind it im thinking this won't be the case, and given the fluid level check starts with a slight overfill condition, once its up to temp it should be bleed through then I can do the level check procedure as normal

If anyone has any tips or has installed this cooler themselves, be great to hear your experiences

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The volume of extra fluid needed would be next to nothing. If the instructions don't say anything different, I would just install it, add 200ml fluid to the transmission and start the engine. Idle for a while shifting through different gears then go for a drive.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Thats how I would do it
start and run get warm up to 50 c as you would changing ATF and filter to check level, and then keep adding ATF until it over flows
When I changed 5 and 6 speed for VE and VF used a simple funnel and clear hose and had a spill tray under pan to collect the overflow
dead easy

Attachments

• Easy way to fill pan use gravity straight in the top (plastic bung).jpg
    Easy way to fill pan use gravity straight in the top (plastic bung).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 85
  • #15 Jerry rigged gravity fed oil filler .jpg
    #15 Jerry rigged gravity fed oil filler .jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 83
  • #19 make sure there is a stream of flow of oil coming out .jpg
    #19 make sure there is a stream of flow of oil coming out .jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 85

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I had an OEM external cooler fitted, they added 500mil to the system

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all

Down to my final mechanical upgrade to my SV6, adding in the OEM external transmission cooler assembly

View attachment 261784

My question is regarding what's the best way to ensure the fluid is added correctly to the system?

Going through the service manual, it doesn't mention any fancy filling method, just to perform the usual fluid level check one would do when performing a filter change. I pre-filled the radiator with fluid and did a pressure check to confirm no leaks. Am I over thinking it regarding getting fluid into the rest of the system? Given the bypass block will be closed until it gets up to temp, will the fluid just flow through the system as normal once up to temp?

Part of me worries about it getting an air lock somewhere and not flowing back to the trans, but given there is pump pressure behind it im thinking this won't be the case, and given the fluid level check starts with a slight overfill condition, once its up to temp it should be bleed through then I can do the level check procedure as normal

If anyone has any tips or has installed this cooler themselves, be great to hear your experiences
Does anyone know the temp range the thermal block opens/ operates at ?

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hey all

View attachment 261784

Good morning.
That is a great upgrade.
How much did it cost you and what vf did it come from.
Thank you.
Merry Christmas

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Thats how I would do it
start and run get warm up to 50 c as you would changing ATF and filter to check level, and then keep adding ATF until it over flows
When I changed 5 and 6 speed for VE and VF used a simple funnel and clear hose and had a spill tray under pan to collect the overflow
dead easy

Yeah reckon I'll just do it as normal and not worry too much, the pump should push it through anyway. Ive already pre-filled the radiator and some of the pipes so we'll just go for it that way

I do the same, clear hose down the engine side with a funnel, so much easier than a fluid pump! As im changing the filter, ill measure what comes out when I drop the pan then add that back in, plus some extra to compensate for the new cooler (probably between 300-400ml), let it warm up then do the fill procedure as needed

I could have sworn I read this somewhere but can't remember the numbers, I think it's on the Chevy SS or the Caprice PPV sites. Kinda annoying give the trans coolers were much rarer on Aus cars, not alot of detail about them

Good morning.
That is a great upgrade.
How much did it cost you and what vf did it come from.
Thank you.
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas! It is a neat little setup and was for the VF commodores. In Australia they were only fitted from factory to the Auto Motorsport/Director/Magnum editions, Gen-F HSV's (Not sure if all of them or just the upper models) and also Police vehicles. Every Chevy SS sent to the states had them. Otherwise they had to be ordered as an option

I actually got this setup from a wreck for about $200. But I noticed the other night the radiator had a hairline crack in it at inlet fitting. The radiator pictured is brand new from Holden, cost me $360 (P/N - 92457299) but I needed it quickly. You can source aftermarket ones from the US landed for about $200, but I didnt want to wait.

The rest of the bits came from the wreck but there was another thread in which they posted up all the required parts. It's not cheap but I like the integrated design (I always try to keep things looking factory), they stab you with the prices on the little black plastic connection covers, and tiny little wire quick connect fitting retainers. You need 8 of each at nearly $30 each! Id source those from the US though, they are common on many GM US cars

Prices won't be accurate as the quote was from early 2021, but lists the bits you need

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 11.10.00 am.png

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah reckon I'll just do it as normal and not worry too much, the pump should push it through anyway. Ive already pre-filled the radiator and some of the pipes so we'll just go for it that way

I do the same, clear hose down the engine side with a funnel, so much easier than a fluid pump! As im changing the filter, ill measure what comes out when I drop the pan then add that back in, plus some extra to compensate for the new cooler (probably between 300-400ml), let it warm up then do the fill procedure as needed

I could have sworn I read this somewhere but can't remember the numbers, I think it's on the Chevy SS or the Caprice PPV sites. Kinda annoying give the trans coolers were much rarer on Aus cars, not alot of detail about them

Merry Christmas! It is a neat little setup and was for the VF commodores. In Australia they were only fitted from factory to the Auto Motorsport/Director/Magnum editions, Gen-F HSV's (Not sure if all of them or just the upper models) and also Police vehicles. Every Chevy SS sent to the states had them. Otherwise they had to be ordered as an option

I actually got this setup from a wreck for about $200. But I noticed the other night the radiator had a hairline crack in it at inlet fitting. The radiator pictured is brand new from Holden, cost me $360 (P/N - 92457299) but I needed it quickly. You can source aftermarket ones from the US landed for about $200, but I didnt want to wait.

The rest of the bits came from the wreck but there was another thread in which they posted up all the required parts. It's not cheap but I like the integrated design (I always try to keep things looking factory), they stab you with the prices on the little black plastic connection covers, and tiny little wire quick connect fitting retainers. You need 8 of each at nearly $30 each! Id source those from the US though, they are common on many GM US cars

Prices won't be accurate as the quote was from early 2021, but lists the bits you need

View attachment 261823
Those trans coolers were fitted to HSV autos from MY12.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’d expect the VF workshop manual PDF that you can find for download within the forum would indicate the fully open temp of the transmission fluid thermal bypass valve as used with our external cooler. I haven’t had a chance to look at it but you can find and download it and check it out yourself.

Many Chevy that used 6L80E also use a thermal bypass valve bolted to the transmissions side. Those original TBV’s would fully open at 90C but a revised part was retrofitted and that valve opened at 70C. The relevant TSB is easier to find and listed below.

Note RPO code of MYC is 6L80 while MYD is 6L90 auto.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d expect the VF workshop manual PDF that you can find for download within the forum would indicate the fully open temp of the transmission fluid thermal bypass valve as used with our external cooler. I haven’t had a chance to look at it but you can find and download it and check it out yourself.

Many Chevy that used 6L80E also use a thermal bypass valve bolted to the transmissions side. Those original TBV’s would fully open at 90C but a revised part was retrofitted and that valve opened at 70C. The relevant TSB is easier to find and listed below.

[/URL]

Note RPO code of MYC is 6L80 while MYD is 6L90 auto.
Thanks Skylarking, good info I’ll check it out.