Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Faux Suede Dash - Protection/Waterproofing?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Scotch Guard would be my suggestion as it is readily available & easy to use, albeit, I've only really used it as a form of water proofing... Generally on shoes.

So things like Opti-Coat as others have suggested may be more suitable for your application.

duz10s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Prussian
Scotch Guard would be my suggestion as it is readily available & easy to use, albeit, I've only really used it as a form of water proofing... Generally on shoes.

So things like Opti-Coat as others have suggested may be more suitable for your application.

Was told not to use Scotch Guard as its like oily based, interested in something else, I do use it on shoes etc and does a great job just not to sure I want to use it in the VF

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
You have been give two top shelf options by two detailers who use these products regularly on cars with much more exotic materials then what Holden use.

I got nothing to gain by telling you this due to where I live, this is just free advise from within the industry

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Hi all,

Went to the manufacturers website and found their maintenance instructions. Refer to the url below:

http://www.alcantara.com/uploadedFiles/files/maintenance_instructions.pdf

How do you know this material is alcantara? This appears to be made in Milan Italy, not in Australia. It is used on high-end million-dollar plus cars like the Bugatti Veyron..

The official brochure from Holden only mentions "selections of perforated leather, suede & fabric inserts;and centre seat strip accents place the emphasis on luxury and sophistication" if it was Alcantara and made in Italy, you would think they would be promoting this. The brochure mentions "Kenetic Suede" a number of times. There is no mention of Alcantara anywhere.

That being said when I took my VF Calais V in for the Full Metal Jacket paint protection by Final Inspection Detailing in Seven Hills, I did ask the question and the detailer rang the owner who said to use their interior cleanse together with their interior nanofibre cleaning cloth and just rub softly.

http://shop.finalinspection.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/101
http://shop.finalinspection.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/96

Last edited:

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I read it in a review of the VF. I cannot remember where and of course how accurate it is I suppose. I had not heard of alcantara till I read the review. Personally I do not like it and think it is awful especially the cream version in the Calais models but if it is alcantara it appears to be a durable and long lasting product and can be made fire proof. Will try to find the review and if found will post.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
its not alcantara. that stuff is a high end material used on exotics to give a plush feel but reduce weight compaired to using conventional interior meterials. it has no place on a holden