Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

sidaiyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shine
I have the same "pinging" noise on my VF SSV auto ute, built 05/15 bought it 3 weeks ago. It sounds like metalic tingling noises only when accelerating. Just wonder if "VEL 070" or "Sidaiyo" got the "issue" sorted? It shouldn't be the fuel problem as the engine supposes to take petrol between 91-98 RON and the sensor should adjust the "timing" accordingly.

I went to another dealership yday and they told me the same it is characteristics of vehicle for v8 engine and also have spoken to holden head office twice but they told me same. The head office didn't really care about this issue and didn't know what to do.
But first dealership said the noise from exhaust and second one said it is from the engine. I have another few problems too. The driver seat slightly moving every cornering, start, stop and Mylink doesn't remember what song was played before.
Both dealership couldn't find anything wrong with them and kept telling me it is normal. I am sick of talking with them
now i give up:(
I've been trying all different petrol, 98 reduce the noise little bit but still ****.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Thanks "sidaiyo" for the update. I reported the issue to Holden Customer Cares and they called and said that they will "investigate" the matter at the first month inspection which I booked in for next Friday. Basically the question is when some others don't have such noises and ours have it, so it can't be "normal". I could be wrong but still think it is to do with the "sensor" which supposed to adjust timing when using different petrol. My ute only has a quarter tank of petrol when I got it, didn't noitce the noises but after filling it up with the 98, the tingling noises started and got worst with the subsequent fill up of 95, then I filled it up with the 98 and as you said, the noises reduced slightly. As with your "moving seat", it has been talked about extensively, the dealer workshop should be able to fix it. Quite agree with you that most dealer workshops can't fix nothing without "error codes", they totally rely on the computers and can't think/see/hear for themselves. I shall keep on "sharing" with the problems with the Customer Cares until the matter is rectiflied, problems shares are half way solving it..ha..ha..ha..And I will be patient, calm and in for the long haul.

sidaiyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shine
Thanks "sidaiyo" for the update. I reported the issue to Holden Customer Cares and they called and said that they will "investigate" the matter at the first month inspection which I booked in for next Friday. Basically the question is when some others don't have such noises and ours have it, so it can't be "normal". I could be wrong but still think it is to do with the "sensor" which supposed to adjust timing when using different petrol. My ute only has a quarter tank of petrol when I got it, didn't noitce the noises but after filling it up with the 98, the tingling noises started and got worst with the subsequent fill up of 95, then I filled it up with the 98 and as you said, the noises reduced slightly. As with your "moving seat", it has been talked about extensively, the dealer workshop should be able to fix it. Quite agree with you that most dealer workshops can't fix nothing without "error codes", they totally rely on the computers and can't think/see/hear for themselves. I shall keep on "sharing" with the problems with the Customer Cares until the matter is rectiflied, problems shares are half way solving it..ha..ha..ha..And I will be patient, calm and in for the long haul.

Thanks KT11H.
I got a 3000km first inspection month ago and dealership said it is normal then i reported the issues to customer care.
They did the same thing to me, "we will investigate and find the problem from the dealership". Holden rang me back few days later and told me there was no problem with a noise issue and it is normal as characteristics of vehicle and go get a second opinion from another dealership if can't trust local one. So i went to get a check again but couldn't get fix.
Two of dealership said we have road tested and compared to indentical vehicle and all same as per normal for Vf ssv.
And i have tested another Vf Redline, it also made same noise too. I could hear same noise when other Vf ssv passed me on the road. I agree with you they just rely on the computer and i felt like they disregard my opinion probably they thought women don't know nothing about the vehicle lol.
Please share the outcome. Thanks.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
No worry "sidaiyo", I will keep this issue "alive" as long as my ute has it. Just wonder why only a few of us are talking about it in this forum if Holden says it is "normal" for all VF SSVs.....Unless we have better hearing than the others??? Ha..Ha..Ha..
But really the tingling noises can hardly be heard when the windows are closed, perhaps I should give up smoking and drive the ute with windows closed. I shall let Holden to have a go until they give up then I will ask them if they are willing pay for it if I can get someone else to fix it. See how it goes with the first month inspection next Friday..

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Two of dealership said we have road tested and compared to indentical vehicle and all same as per normal for Vf ssv.
And i have tested another Vf Redline, it also made same noise too. I could hear same noise when other Vf ssv passed me on the road. I agree with you they just rely on the computer and i felt like they disregard my opinion probably they thought women don't know nothing about the vehicle lol.

Well maybe it's not the woman thing, maybe it's you. Two dealerships can't find the "problem" and you're saying that a heap of other cars make the same noise - so if you're insisting that it's not a characteristic and can't provide any basis for it, then all you have is your opinion and your lack of knowledge...

Unless we have better hearing than the others??? Ha..Ha..Ha..

Or you're just more picky than everyone else and don't understand it's probably normal?

Come on guys the LS family of motors is well renowned for having all sorts of noises - it's an all alloy motor based on old tech and doesn't do a good job of dampening harmonics. If the "noise" being made isn't a heavy knock or a repeating loud tick that increases frequency with revs then don't worry about it, there's nothing wrong with it.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Perhaps I were being polite to decribe the noises being "tingling", it was actually series of loud metalic clicking noises whenever the accelerator is pressed, more prominent when the ute is loaded and/or going up hill. It isn't just me who notice such noises, the mechanic from the Holden workshop heard it too and said some cars have it and some cars don't. That's why I questioned why it is "normal" when some other cars don't have it. Please to kind to each other even we don't always agree on all things.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Perhaps I were being polite to decribe the noises being "tingling", it was actually series of loud metalic clicking noises whenever the accelerator is pressed, more prominent when the ute is loaded and/or going up hill. It isn't just me who notice such noises, the mechanic from the Holden workshop heard it too and said some cars have it and some cars don't. That's why I questioned why it is "normal" when some other cars don't have it. Please to kind to each other even we don't always agree on all things.

Usually with the noise increasing as the load (weight/hills) suggests pinging. Take it to a tuner as ask them.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
thanks for the advice "revster", since the ute is going in for "inspection" next Friday, I will ask the dealer workshop to have a look first.

sidaiyo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shine
No worry "sidaiyo", I will keep this issue "alive" as long as my ute has it. Just wonder why only a few of us are talking about it in this forum if Holden says it is "normal" for all VF SSVs.....Unless we have better hearing than the others??? Ha..Ha..Ha..
But really the tingling noises can hardly be heard when the windows are closed, perhaps I should give up smoking and drive the ute with windows closed. I shall let Holden to have a go until they give up then I will ask them if they are willing pay for it if I can get someone else to fix it. See how it goes with the first month inspection next Friday..
Well.. i have a pretty keen ear ha ha but as you said all the mechanic also heard too but couldn't find where and what.
And i found few more people have the same issue in this forum.
My redline was the same as your ute, i got a full tank when i picked up and i started to hear the pinging noise since i filling up the petrol. I'm not agree what someone else said above.
It's not a very strong noise and i understand it's a kind of machine could make some noise but we paid enough money and have a 3years warranty then Holden should try to sort out this issue rather than just say normal. It could be normal for Holden or some mechanic people but it can't be a normal for everyone.

Scruba

Wanderer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I didn't read right through to check if yours is auto or manual, although my VE SS did a similar thing and I was advised by Holden and a couple of tuners that it was the AFM internals. My ute was a manual so the internals weren't required but part of the build. Same noises as you are explaining above. My bet is it's the AFM. Only fix is to remove the AFM internals.

I pick up an SSV Redline manual today so will be keen to see if it also has the percussion of the AFM internals.

Good luck with yours.