Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
AND badly torqued wheelnuts - THE most common cause of warped rotors.

I'm not sure how much I believe that - I've always thought that it was possible, but I've had a heap of monkeys work on my cars in time gone past (and I've broken a wheel brace trying to remove a wheel nut on one of them), and I've NEVER had a warped rotor.

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
I found a weak spot in the Holden evoke bar the bottom corner is left unprotected

I was speaking to a friend who lives in a station 200k out of Broken Hill where I live yesterday

He hit a roo and it went left down the the unprotected section and down to the front wheel lucky he was not going to fast he may have rolled it

this is just hitting the roo in the wrong place if you have a GM bar be ware of this problem

not the same car one I saw on line to show

my ECB type 8 has a loop to stop that type of thing happening

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
I'm not sure how much I believe that - I've always thought that it was possible, but I've had a heap of monkeys work on my cars in time gone past (and I've broken a wheel brace trying to remove a wheel nut on one of them), and I've NEVER had a warped rotor.

check it out....

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=alloy+rims+torque+warp+rotor

it varies in risk according to the pitch on the wheels - some cars like Subarus and Porches are very susceptible due to small pitch I think - others less so but the issue is definitely real and I've experienced it myself on alloy rims when over torqued / unevenly torqued at tyre shops etc.

Pallbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I found a weak spot in the Holden evoke bar the bottom corner is left unprotected

I was speaking to a friend who lives in a station 200k out of Broken Hill where I live yesterday

He hit a roo and it went left down the the unprotected section and down to the front wheel lucky he was not going to fast he may have rolled it

this is just hitting the roo in the wrong place if you have a GM bar be ware of this problem

From my experience, if you hit a roo there are no gaurantees at all what damage you do or do not sustain no matter what protection (you think) you have ... They're like mice, they get in the smallest areas and make the hugest mess if you're ever unlucky enough to hit them.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon

I would suspect that bar would do very little except in a very low speed collision.

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
from feed back from Friends who live on stations out of town they have not a lot of good to say about the genuine GM bar but they do work but most are like me old fart who prefer steel but those days are almost gone

yes Pallbag very true I hit a emu which ran into my left hand side of my BA Fairmont last week stopped and was expecting some serious damage to the car a tiny scratch and one emu I was amazed mate did same thing in a Hyundai best part of 6k damage both of us were doing 110k

This is weeks before we decide on out next car which we hope will be a VF wagon evoke with country suspension that would not be good for a trad in value

there are a lot of local cars in Broken Hill with the dolmio grin on the bonnet made from hitting a roo or Emu which is in plague proportions

I broke the Emus leg and I was only 30 ks out of town so I rang local police to came out and put it out of its pain I personally could not just drive off and leave it

But the major thing now is the roo bar as we know it is almost dead a major review in all of Australia is on and the new laws comming into effect next year will be interesting

One of the new rules coming in are

If the risk of colliding with a large animal is negligible, such as
for vehicles that operate solely in an urban environment, bull bars are not “technically
essential” to the vehicle’s function and should
not be fitted to them. "

This is thanks to the pedestrian council who have tried to have a total ban on any for of bull bar fitted

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
"The Pedestrian Council" is one nasty little man called Harold Scruby, and his fax machine.
He thrives on making life worse for all of society, in order to make his living out of our misery.
Note that he lives in the busy & expensive inner North Shore of Sydney & drives the most pedestrian-unfriendly & wasteful & inappropriate vehicle in existence, a 4WD. On our dollar.

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
Harold Scruby what a fitting name lol

the new laws are here

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/bull-bar-tolerances.pdf

it is a little long winded but all states seems to on the same page with all this and what i wonder is how they will enforce all the new laws one person I spoke to said it will be by post code and who decided on what is a sufficient time ie some one who goes bush once or twice a year or weekly be interesting to see it all and what the local country and city cops do

There is also a new laws re light bars and spot lights as well as main lights

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Has anybody else had this?

I am listening to FM radio.
I try to make a phone call.
Usually, when its dialing the number, the radio drops out, Mylink displays the number being dialed, and you hear the phone ringing through the speakers.

This time, Mylink displays the number being dialed, but only out of the centre front speaker, my USB music starts blaring. Way louder than I was listening to the radio.

This thing has a mind of its own.

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Okay here's new one for SSV Redline owners - after driving the car with the sunroof open, then parking and the front park assist is being used, the sunroof closes as per normal when the car is turned off in the usual manner, but the park assist keeps beeping with the car switched off (as in WTF?!). The only way to stop the park assist beeping is to restart the car (with the now closed sunroof) and then shut it down again. Its a repeatable problem - weird!