Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
There is a service bulletin for MY17 commodores for the blocked A/C hose issue again. Apparently the hose was not installed correctly. This came to my attention when checking about the LS3 rocker arm issue.

paulw36

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore
Im looking at buying a vf evoke with 55 000 on the clock not sure if its a good move given all the recalls etc . I currently have a vy and have done nearly 400 000 kms so have been pretty happy with the run i have had with it and just curious of the reliability of the vf .

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Im looking at buying a vf evoke with 55 000 on the clock not sure if its a good move given all the recalls etc . I currently have a vy and have done nearly 400 000 kms so have been pretty happy with the run i have had with it and just curious of the reliability of the vf .
I did 80K in my Calais but that had the 3.6lt engine in it. I only sold it because I have the redline. Very good Car. I’ve had nearly every model Commodore from VN and this one is the best.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Make sure good service history, and factory warranty still there for piece of mind

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I did 80K in my Calais but that had the 3.6lt engine in it. I only sold it because I have the redline. Very good Car. I’ve had nearly every model Commodore from VN and this one is the best.
So is better than your Redline?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
So is better than your Redline?
VF model in general is the best. The Calais V had more options than the Redline so I've taken a step back but love the V8. Thats why there is another one for special days.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
VF model in general is the best. The Calais V had more options than the Redline so I've taken a step back but love the V8. Thats why there is another one for special days.
Yeah, but an elec passengers seat doesn't make you grin from ear to ear;)

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Have a series 1 wagon which has done 107000km and the only failures has been the windscreen washer pipe came loose which I fixed and the A/C pipe leaked causing the aircon to not work. This was fixed under warranty and I was told it is a known common issue with early VF models. Also replaced under warranty was 3 alloys due to delamination which I was told was a common issue as the alloys are made in Thailand and the humidity causes the issue. As for the recalls yes my series 1 has had I think 4 recalls but remember these mostly are rectification or in some cases safety issues so it is good that Holden has recognised them and has fixed them. Remember most of the Japanese manufacturers have few recalls due to high standards of manufacturer ie few parts from Thailand and Daewoo unlike Holden but Toyota had less recalls as they hid them and the Takata debacle has demonstrated the Japanese save face mentality. I would buy the evoke if the price is right, the service history is there and the car is sound. Any VF is a wonderful car to own and drive. Owning both a VF V6 and a MSE V8 different cars and personalities and both give a smile on my face every time I drive one. After driving the MSE for several months now, I never thought I would say that the Calais V was "slow" and "sloppy" but then that is compared with the MSE. The Calais V is still the better car for touring on country roads as the MSE is too twitchy over bumps even a bit unsafe on these roads even in touring mode. I suppose the MSE was really designed for smooth track conditions.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Have a series 1 wagon which has done 107000km and the only failures has been the windscreen washer pipe came loose which I fixed and the A/C pipe leaked causing the aircon to not work. This was fixed under warranty and I was told it is a known common issue with early VF models. Also replaced under warranty was 3 alloys due to delamination which I was told was a common issue as the alloys are made in Thailand and the humidity causes the issue. As for the recalls yes my series 1 has had I think 4 recalls but remember these mostly are rectification or in some cases safety issues so it is good that Holden has recognised them and has fixed them. Remember most of the Japanese manufacturers have few recalls due to high standards of manufacturer ie few parts from Thailand and Daewoo unlike Holden but Toyota had less recalls as they hid them and the Takata debacle has demonstrated the Japanese save face mentality. I would buy the evoke if the price is right, the service history is there and the car is sound. Any VF is a wonderful car to own and drive. Owning both a VF V6 and a MSE V8 different cars and personalities and both give a smile on my face every time I drive one. After driving the MSE for several months now, I never thought I would say that the Calais V was "slow" and "sloppy" but then that is compared with the MSE. The Calais V is still the better car for touring on country roads as the MSE is too twitchy over bumps even a bit unsafe on these roads even in touring mode. I suppose the MSE was really designed for smooth track conditions.
I have driven my MSE from Wagga to Bathurst and Wagga to Adelaide. It toring it was very comfy and co.pliant. I've never found it twitchy or unsafe. In fact i think that is a ridiculous statement TBH.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
In terms of drivetrain doesn't matter VE or VF the SIDI timing chain is not going to last like your VY, and is more involved to replace.
I have driven my MSE from Wagga to Bathurst and Wagga to Adelaide. It toring it was very comfy and co.pliant. I've never found it twitchy or unsafe. In fact i think that is a ridiculous statement TBH.
Second or third owner who has said same thing. Sort of mirrors the Ignition video comments on MRC too.
Where there’s smoke... :(