Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
On track the MRC was magic and it generally is on the road too, the way the MSE takes bumps and imperfections feels very different to my previous non-MRC Commodores. That said, there are times on the road when I go over a bump and the back end tends to "slip" just for a fraction or moment, I've noticed this weird feeling every now and then. I don't think its dangerous I think it's just the way the MRC reacts under certain conditions. It's never felt unsafe, but I have definitely thought to myself "hmm that's a bit different" in terms of MRC's reaction a few times. "slip" is just the first word that comes to mind but I don't mean it in the sense of losing traction, it's more like the car feels like its pivoted a fraction of a degree and then continued.

perhaps this is what people are referring to when they say twitchy?

Ah ok, thanks.
I haven't noticed it myself. Most of my driving has been highway k's though. Although I never experienced this when pushing it 8/10 in the Adelaide hills. I'm sure I'll feel it eventually. Perhaps it's the different suspension tune, e.g the stability conrol, or traction control? I.e. letting it step out a bit under power. It is designed to be far less intrusive in the MSE. Or the torque vectoring perhaps? I have read where cornering in cats with torque vectoring is very different to without it. I'll take extra notice on a few twist and turns under power next time I go for a blat.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Ah ok, thanks.
I haven't noticed it myself. Most of my driving has been highway k's though. Although I never experienced this when pushing it 8/10 in the Adelaide hills. I'm sure I'll feel it eventually. Perhaps it's the different suspension tune, e.g the stability conrol, or traction control? I.e. letting it step out a bit under power. It is designed to be far less intrusive in the MSE. Or the torque vectoring perhaps? I have read where cornering in cats with torque vectoring is very different to without it. I'll take extra notice on a few twist and turns under power next time I go for a blat.

Just to be clear it's not about corning under power, it happens when going over certain types of bumps or imperfections even in a straight line and at normal pace. I think you're right - it's a combination of the various systems and MRC and it just something to get used to.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Perhaps it's the different suspension tune, e.g the stability conrol, or traction control? I.e. letting it step out a bit under power. It is designed to be far less intrusive in the MSE. Or the torque vectoring perhaps?

You may have a point, the Magnum does similar, but no MRC.
It does handle, and hold the road, so much better than the other 2 utes.

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
Ah ok, thanks.
Cuda, hope the cats end up OK!

gucci

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Has anyone had any issues with Brembo brake calibers losing their clear coat? I washed my MY16 Redline on the weekend and found three from four calibers have clear coat peeling off. I only use warm soapy water and Gyeon wheel cleaner to clean wheels and calibers.
Warranty issue? Anyone else experienced the same problem?

P1150080.jpg
P1150081.jpg
P1150082.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Has anyone had any issues with Brembo brake calibers losing their clear coat? I washed my MY16 Redline on the weekend and found three from four calibers have clear coat peeling off. I only use warm soapy water and Gyeon wheel cleaner to clean wheels and calibers.
Warranty issue? Anyone else experienced the same problem?

View attachment 197131 View attachment 197132 View attachment 197133
Nope. Not after > 3 years and say 150 washes. Yes, warranty will cover it.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
So after a problem with the BCM was identified as the reason why my roof lights didn't work at the last service in November, I finally booked my Redline in to have it replaced on Tuesday. After a day and a half at the dealer, I finally got it back late this AM. Thought it would be simply a swap out part (I should have known better), but everything had to be re-programmed and it wasn't playing the game at first. SO got me thinking - if this happened at 3 years and 1 month of age, how much would it cost me? We are totally reliant on the Holden network if we want to keep our cars for the long term that's for sure. Despite always declining extended cover on electronic stuff I buy, i'm starting to think that I might just buy some Holden extended warranty because the $2K would probably be recouped in one such serious incident. BTW the interior lights work now!

UPDATE: Just found the part online at various USA sites - about $67 USD - quite insignificant compared to the labour component I imagine.

Last edited:

Gmac 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
Hey All,
I had a minor panel and paint repair done on my VF1 Redline recently. When I got it back I noticed the fuel consumption best figures were cleared and the avg was at 39.9L/100. This was the same for 25, 100 and 500 K's.
Since then, the best has gone to 39.9L and stayed there. This is not correct.
Has anyone seen this before or know what the issue is? I assume it stems from a flat battery at the panel shop.
Cheers,

I remember you posting this, so I searched it up. Mine too has just had the battery disconnected resetting the consumption details. For the first 100km the average displayed 39.9l/100km and the best was blank. Now they both read 39.9l/100!! Given you said yours came good post 100km I'm a bit concerned. Fuel consumption (on the gauge) seam to mimic this. More concern!

Any ideas? Has anyone else had to do anything to fix this?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
SO got me thinking - if this happened at 3 years and 1 month of age, how much would it cost me?

Nothing...once you raised hell about ACL...

We are totally reliant on the Holden network if we want to keep our cars for the long term that's for sure.

Not necessarily, the aftermarket suppliers have served owners of older cars well for years. Take a look at rare spares, you can buy remanufactured odds and sods for cars well over 40-50yrs old. A lot are better quality than OEM too.