Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

IMMX5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina wagon followed by VFII SV6 Sportwagon
Hi IMMX5. I would appreciate those wheel alignment specs, if you think they are the same for the sedan.

I agree with some of you observation/issues. The base of the seat is too narrow and very uncomfortable after an hour of driving. Who ever designed it, never sat in it for a few hours. VZ Berlina seats were a dream in comparison!

I too have noticed the throttle acceleration issue at low speed. I even checked that the floormat wasn’t stuck under the throttle!

And the sat nav doesn’t seem to be very up to date.

Hi SCR77 - your description of the seat is accurate although for me the "bum" area is fine - it's the way the seat does not support the thighs and where the base bolsters touch the thighs seems to create pressure points and thus discomfort. I'd love to be able to tilt the seat a tad back but the design is a front "Hook-in" rather than bolted.

I've attached my alignment sheet. Following 3rspecB's post above it seems the spec may go across the range - but he's not specifically saying it is the same for the sedan and the Sportwagon. Mine however gives mm for toe-in as against degrees - a bit easier to imagine although most (all?) modern alignment gear will be able to switch between the 2 dimension systems. Anyway, a good alignment service provider will have the standard spec's for most vehicles and that should be the starting point for trying to rectify your problem.

Attachments

• VF11 Sportwagon alignment.jpg
    VF11 Sportwagon alignment.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 429

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
This is a bit of a grey area.
So i had my front windshield replaced in the process the window company scratched the VIN, the scratch is only tiny nothing major.
I complained to the window company and holden they both advised they cant replace it and nothing can be done.

My question to u guys
.. is this correct it can not be repalced?
..will this scratch impact the value of the car ?

Thanks looking fwd to your replies .
How bad is the scratch?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
. is this correct it can not be repalced?

Anything can be replaced, but for something like a VIN tag, I’d suspect it’d only be done as a matter of necessity (ie crash damage etc) rather than for cosmetic reasons, particularly if it’s only ‘tiny’ as you say.

will this scratch impact the value of the car ?

No. Just keep documentation of the windscreen replacement to show any prospective buyers if they query it. If it is still legible and marries up to all the rego paperwork (which it obviously will) then there won’t be a problem.

Most buyers wouldn’t notice a scratch on the paint let alone the VIN tag under the windscreen. Don’t sweat it.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Anything can be replaced, but for something like a VIN tag, I’d suspect it’d only be done as a matter of necessity (ie crash damage etc) rather than for cosmetic reasons, particularly if it’s only ‘tiny’ as you say.

I'm not sure if you can get them replaced for any reason.

When my Torana was stolen the tags were removed and after the car was recovered I tried to get replacements and was given a no by the then NSW Roads and Traffic Authority.

The car is registered but has no tags other then the chassis number.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm not sure if you can get them replaced for any reason.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was a legal requirement to have one fitted under the screen, so I thought they had to replace it after a crash if required? But like I say, I’m not 100%

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is a bit of a grey area.
So i had my front windshield replaced in the process the window company scratched the VIN, the scratch is only tiny nothing major.
I complained to the window company and holden they both advised they cant replace it and nothing can be done.

My question to u guys
.. is this correct it can not be repalced?
..will this scratch impact the value of the car ?

Thanks looking fwd to your replies .
The scratch is a deep scrartch around 5cm long just under the numbers on the vin.
Luckily your VIN behind the windscreen is clearly legible. There is also a VIN stamped under the front drivers seat, to be sure to be sure. In any case, the VIN’s in these two locations will match so there is no need for concern.

If the VIN behind the windscreen was damaged so that it was not legible and thus could not match the one under the seat, then you may have issues. But with purchase documents, valid legible VIN under the seat, a known issue of dumb knuckle windscreen repairers damaging the VIN foil behind the windscreen, car not listed as stolen, registered with same plates since new, etc, etc, the likelihood of police or rego authorities seeing an issues is close to zero.

But if you are OCD and want everything shmick, sadly my experience is that the manufacturer’s will do absolutely nothing to help in your a situation. You can of course go to your local registration authority and discuss the Vehicle Identification Verification process (Victoria) or Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit process (NSW) with them to see what can be done. With lots of jumping backwards through flaming hoops after paying lots of fees, you may get the state to issue a new VIN which you then have stamped on the vehicle by an authorised person. Since the one under the windscreen is legible, it’s crazy to even think of going down that path.

As to the value of the car, any buyer worth their salt will try and reduce the vehicle cost to them when buying. Likewise, any seller worth their salt will counter any arguments to reduce the price below what is acceptable to them. And in any case, the vehicle value is only relevant when it’s time to sell so ain’t worth worrying about if you will keep the car long term.

But even if selling now, I really doubt a scratch under the VIN, which still remains legible, would impact value in any way. I’d think mechanical issues and aesthetic issues (interior condition, paint, etc) would have a bigger impact.

As to legalities of replacing/restamping a VIN, any crash that damages a VIN will almost certainly result in the insurance company classifying that vehicle as a statutory write-off, scrapping the vehicle and invalidating that VIN forever. Doubt regulators who mandated ISOVIN (and NEVDIS) back in mid ‘90s considered the future when 25 year old car are undergoing restoration of rusted out structural panels that contained VIN stamping. Guess some will cross that bridge in years to come. Meanwhile, manufacturers, as you found out, and aren’t obliged to help.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I could be wrong, but I thought it was a legal requirement to have one fitted under the screen, so I thought they had to replace it after a crash if required? But like I say, I’m not 100%

Honestly I don't know, all I can say is after my car was stolen I was told nothing could be provided to replace any identifying tags.

It had also taken a hit to the front during a police chase and I was intending to have the rails replaced to make for an easy repair but after that conversation with the RTA I decided I didn't want to go down that bureaucratic road with the chassis number so instead had the existing rails straighten and stiffened.