Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
And my understanding is that HSV will not replace their ID tags on the radiator support panel (common to be damaged in a front end crash) for any reason other than a mistake made by them. Can't remember the situation but read on a HSV forum they did replace one that was incorrect on one of their cars. I wouldn't stress about your one being stratched. As mentioned above, there's no reason to doubt the ID of your car.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Can't remember the situation but read on a HSV forum they did replace one that was incorrect on one of their cars.

That would be my car (posted on hsvforum.com.au)...they fitted a standard build plate rather than the proper HSV30 one that it should have had.

I made a call to them and had to send the incorrect one in and they sent a new one back.

As a matter of interest, I asked to
keep the incorrect one, but unfortunately I couldn’t as they said they wouldn’t allow two plates for the same car to be in existence, so the wrong one had to be destroyed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yep just confirms to me that the manufacture can help in many situations should they desire. But they don’t have the desire to help with restamping VIN’s or providing replacement damaged labels (even if you have the old squashed ones).

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
it would have to be obstructing your number plate to be defected. Protrusions need to stick out a fair bit to be a problem.

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Had my MY16 VF2 6.2 Calais in for it's 40k service... or time frame service a few days ago.

AC hose was fixed as per service bulletin-(that I was not even aware of)

I also logged a few warranty issues just to get them on file.

#1: Squeaky bi-modal valve.... every time you come to a stop it would chirp. Quite honestly this was a form of water torture.
#2: Poorly fitting carpet. Quite apparent in the rear foot wells. Carpet was stretched considerably and creased in the edges. Makes the floor in the rear feel quite spongy underfoot. I had to convince the service manager to investigate this one. We went through a few showroom models to compare.
#3: Headlining behind sunroof not appropriately attached. Again, had to convince the service manager to look into.
#4: Front passenger seat bolstering had come away from seat frame.

Results:
#1 removed both mufflers and lubed up- at this point appears to be fixed.
#2 referred to Holden for replacement. Carpet has been cut too short and is stretched to fit. (since approved and booked to be fit with new carpet).
#3 referred to Holden for repair as it has to be removed to re-position velcro attachments. (Since approved and booked to be fit at the same time as carpet)
#4 fixed with the god awful clips which personally I think is a terrible, terrible way to repair these seats.

So now I have the car booked to have the carpet done. Now I am kinda concerned about everything being pulled out and then refit to get the carpet in.... perfect time for some electrical gremlin to appear due to a switch not being attached or something like that.... I can only imagine what it would cost to replace the carpet if you had to go out of pocket to do so....

Other than that, quite happy with the service, speed and willingness of Holden to remedy these problems.

"#1: Squeaky bi-modal valve.... every time you come to a stop it would chirp. Quite honestly this was a form of water torture."

"#1 removed both mufflers and lubed up- at this point appears to be fixed."

I have the same issue. It’s driving me mad. What does "lubed up" mean? What lubricant did you use? How did you apply it to the valve or the actuator?

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a squeaky bi-modal. It’s driving me made. What did u do to fix it?
I know the VFIIs have electric bi-modal mufflers, but I am fairly comfy that the mechanism to open/close the valve would be similar to my E3's vacuum operated valve. Stick your head under the rear bar and you can see the lever that operates the valve and operate it by hand. I'm sure a little silicon spray (not all over the muffler, just the valve/lever pivots) will most likely fix your issue. If it comes back, try a little HTB bearing grease.

vkcala

Reaction score
Members Ride
searching for vk
My info screen went dim today to a point where I can barely see it and it won't light up. Any ideas?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
In the middle of the intrument cluster between the tacho and speedo or the infotainment system? I assume you have checked your dimmer setting and that your sun sensor on top of the dash is not dirty? If it thinks its dark outsode, it will dim the display down a lot.