Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf redline ii ls3 piston slap again!

Redlineross

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf redline series 2
So about 3 months ago my ssv redline ls3 had a new motor put it in due to piston slap.
2000km later and I am hearing it again. At first I thought I was paranoid but after a couple of comments from other people and it well just getting to me, I booked it in to get looked at again.
Piston Slap confirmed again and I have been informed that since the motor change over didn't fix it they are going to have to pull this motor down and rebuild it. I am not ok with this.
Not sure where to go from here.
Anyone want to buy a vf wagon?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If they're going to cover all costs under warranty, I wouldn't think twice about it - just let them do whatever they need to do to fix it.

If you're going to be out of pocket at all, that makes it a much more difficult call

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Personally, i don't think it's anything to get too worried about. My SS has it, 150K km's and it's still running strong. My new Hyundai has it too. I can understand for the amount of money you put in to buy a new car, you'd expect everything to be perfect. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

Redlineross

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf redline series 2
Your right in that it is not that big of an issue but if I had of known that it would sound like a tractor for the first 15min of every drive I would not have bought it. I was weighing up between this and a c63. Decided that I would save a few $$ and go the Holden.
A wise man once said buy cheap, buy twice.
I thought I would be safe at 60k but like you said a 60k car has the same issue as a Hyundai.. How much do you spend to get quality?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
But what could they possibly do to reduce or stop the noise? They could go to all the trouble of ripping the engine to pieces, put it back together and find you have the same noise. They woudl need to do something pretty well known and specific to make it right. i woudl love to know what that is.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
How would I know what piston slap sounded like? Perhaps I've got the slap and don't even know??