Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Pollutey in another way: E10 and E85 both generate more carbon on short trips than higher octane fuels. It may have a "higher" octane rating, but that doesn't mean it will provide improved economy. E10 and E85 is virtually sugar cane with ethanol added — I don't know what the attraction is, and for what it's worth, you won't find either "fuels" in outback Australia, only LPG, diesel, 91, 95 and 98, with progressively higher (stagnant) prices for each
Extremely hard to get e 85 in nz and expensive but some real gains to be had for forced induction and engines built to suit but 98 is what I put in mostly

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Are you sure it’s less pollutey? It’s theoretically more sustainable because that 10% ethanol isn’t made out of dinosaurs that aren’t coming back; but given you use >10% more of it than 98 & our current ethanol production methods burn fossil fuels, I dunno that it’s actually less pollutey ...
Pollutey in another way: E10 and E85 both generate more carbon on short trips than higher octane fuels. It may have a "higher" octane rating, but that doesn't mean it will provide improved economy. E10 and E85 is virtually sugar cane with ethanol added — I don't know what the attraction is, and for what it's worth, you won't find either "fuels" in outback Australia, only LPG, diesel, 91, 95 and 98, with progressively higher (stagnant) prices for each
OK you forced me to use Wiki , make up your own mind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#Engine_fuel
EDIT : OK now i read it i "could be wrong" on some aspects

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... If I’m gonna have a 1.8T 6L V8 car, I guess that’s a bit irrelephant...
Yep, it's truely irrelevant discussing old tech LS3 and fuel consumption in the same breath. Token AFM improvements in the 6lt doesn't count in the big scheme...

It's especially irrelevant when modern tech allows you to just as easily be stuck in stop/start traffic and still get 4ltr/100kms :D

Sometimes, reading parts of this thread could be similar to the discussion within a room full of obese people talking about their favorite foods o_O

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
1/16 build manual VFSS never reset the fuel since new 8500kms now fuel average at 12.5 at 43kms/h avg, tuned at 3000kms with full exhaust and otr.

I dont watch fuel economy much but have noticed how much better it is when you dont let engine labour in 6th and 5th when in hilly areas

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Going for a long road trip down south next week, this should see my fuel consumption drop down to around 10L/100km lol

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
5 year average is 15.2 mpg however I'm not light on the accelerator! btw, 2015 VF with LS3, manual

Attachments

• IMG_2237.PNG
    IMG_2237.PNG
    213.8 KB · Views: 136

LSX Tuner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Caprice LS3
I track fuel usage every time I drive. This allows me to tweak how I drive. It aslo helps me dial in the custom tune.
Fuel consumption is directly proportional to average speed, and whether you thrash it off the line often.
A graph that I have created, tells me whether I am being economical or heavy footed.
Fuel around town @ 40kmph gives about 14.5l/100km
Highway, dead flat road instantaneous fuel 7.0l/100km.
Trip average 10ish depending on how hilly it is.

2006 WM Caprice Auto - 2017 LS3, 223/228/114 Cam, LS7 Lifters, Headers & full 2.5" Xforce system, Maffless, Twin pod SS Inductions intake with K&N's, Custom OTRCAI,
Customer tuned via HP Tuners, runs 98RON Only.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Fuel consumption is directly proportional to average speed, and whether you thrash it off the line often.
A graph that I have created, tells me whether I am being economical or heavy footed...
haha, my wallet tells me the same thing.... economical or heavy footed :p

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
5 year average is 15.2 mpg however I'm not light on the accelerator! btw, 2015 VF with LS3, manual
What app is that?

Also, Auto ls3. When I drive, I average 17/100. Don't do much Highway.