Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS LS3 Manual - weakest links?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i drove around for a few years with PD blower on ethanol with 14psi full stock engine just camshaft and valvetrain done and clutch, it ran fine and i didnt baby it all the time as it did see 7k rpm accidently as limiter was 6700 and plenty of tuning fun but i was aware of the limitations, on petrol u will be spark limited so best to get a camshaft also to relieve some compression, stock camshaft is doable but alot of cylinder pressure will limit it, few choices there, alot of PD blower cams are very streetable now days so u dont have to worry bout the pig to drive if chosen correctly, even 10-12psi is heaps for the street and safer for the street and can stay on petrol if thats easier, at the same time as saying it will live if used correctly i also felt it wouldnt be able to do a track day and survive without issues so all depends on usage and who tunes it will be a main link in its survival, keep the wallet close

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
600rwkw is a pretty ambitious target. Hope you have more than $15k.
A few years ago I looked @ Holmart’s LSA engine & manual or auto gearbox combo and if memory serves it was around $25k not including the diff @ $4k. I didn't get the stuff cause lack of storage :(

These days it’s around $42k with auto ($35k with manual) again without diff (which is $6k) so one’s gotta love the govco inflation figures :rolleyes:

https://www.holmart.com.au/?q=Supercharged&hPP=24&idx=holmart_SEARCH&p=0&rf=kw&kw=Supercharged

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A few years ago I looked @ Holmart’s LSA engine & manual gearbox combo and if memory serves it was around $25k not including the diff @ $4k. I didn't get the stuff cause lack of storage :(

These days it’s around $42k (with auto) again without diff (which is $6k) so one’s gotta love the govco inflation figures :rolleyes:

https://www.holmart.com.au/?q=Supercharged&hPP=24&idx=holmart_SEARCH&p=0&rf=kw&kw=Supercharged

I have the price of my diff build written down in my book. Off the top of my head I think it was over $3,500, plus $400 to install it. $15k might get a charger fitted but there will be nothing left in the budget for supporting mods.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've heard of people fitting Wavetracs in 1000rwhp VE/VFs. I don't know what they cost but I've heard they're pretty pricey.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
A few years ago I looked @ Holmart’s LSA engine & manual or auto gearbox combo and if memory serves it was around $25k not including the diff @ $4k. I didn't get the stuff cause lack of storage :(

These days it’s around $42k with auto ($35k with manual) again without diff (which is $6k) so one’s gotta love the govco inflation figures :rolleyes:

u could prob get the blower kit and do a decent rebuild for the cost of the LSA crate engine :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
all depends on usage and who tunes it will be a main link in its survival
Speaking of tuning, here's the Motec M145 ECU we had developed for production-based race cars as a plug and play unit to directly replace the E38 ECU. We swapped to this on the ute with the Magnuson supercharger I mentioned earlier when switching to E85.

IMG_20220102_230009 (1).jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just priced up a Wavetrac, centre alone is $2,700 including freight. Probably another $1500 to set it up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
u could prob get the blower kit and do a decent rebuild for the cost of the LSA crate engine :)
Yep, and big HP = big money no matter which way you go.
I've built my driveline to suit mild boost, which may never happen due to cost and no dragway in the state anymore but nothing near 600kw. However, $15k won't even scratch the itch..

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Speaking of tuning, here's the Motec M145 ECU we had developed for production-based race cars as a plug and play unit to directly replace the E38 ECU. We swapped to this on the ute with the Magnuson supercharger I mentioned earlier when switching to E85.

View attachment 267569
would be good to have some of the extra ''trickery'' of the aftermarket ecu's :D