Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V Redline vs FG-X XR8

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
All this talk too of $52K for the XR8 is horribly misleading...

The reality is once you add on-road costs its north of $59K just for manual.

Im sorry isnt that how EVERY other car dealership sells cars?

The car itself is RRP of approx 52,000. From there the end user can easily work a deal. Id be shocked to see someone actually pay full RRP + onroads given the state Ford Australia are currently in.

FFAman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Im sorry isnt that how EVERY other car dealership sells cars?

The car itself is RRP of approx 52,000. From there the end user can easily work a deal. Id be shocked to see someone actually pay full RRP + onroads given the state Ford Australia are currently in.

To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a XR8 sold for less than $58K, and that's a manual.... Auto's about 62K.

Dealers will not budge on them and given how short supply they are they don't need to.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a XR8 sold for less than $58K, and that's a manual.... Auto's about 62K.

Dealers will not budge on them and given how short supply they are they don't need to.
$58K is on the road including registration fees, state stamp duty, delivery and preparation charges, etc. The actual vehicle cost is around $52k.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
$7500 for a 400rwkw SSV i'd like to see that,

Sure, gimme a couple of weeks and I'll be in the ballpark. You need to know what you need before you go shopping (thar be pirates), otherwise yes you could pay twice as much :yarr:

• Custom Exhaust (Pacemaker / Vizard)
  • Custom Manifold, TB and OTR (Rick Crawford / Orrsom)
  • VVT Camshaft and Phaser (27° authority over ICL)
  • Custom Pistons (14:1)
  • Head and Valve work (hollow stems, 3-way, etc.,)

The aim is greater thermodynamic efficiency using ethanol on an Atkinson cycle, the performance increase from greater VE is a bonus really.

FFAman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
$58K is on the road including registration fees, state stamp duty, delivery and preparation charges, etc. The actual vehicle cost is around $52k.

That's right, but nobody can drive one out of a dealership for $52K so there's no point saying they're a $52K car... That's my point.

Quote Drive away not RRP...

FFAman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Sure, gimme a couple of weeks and I'll be in the ballpark. You need to know what you need before you go shopping (thar be pirates), otherwise yes you could pay twice as much :yarr:

The aim is greater thermodynamic efficiency using ethanol on an Atkinson cycle, the performance increase from greater VE is a bonus really.
You'll need a blower to match a tuned Miami, sorry.

What that will give you is a grumpy track engine...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
You'll need a blower to match a tuned Miami, sorry.

What that will give you is a grumpy track engine...

Yes on a dyno under compatible conditions, Ford supercharged would take the wildest chart home.

Consider the Holden is ethanol optimised, naturally aspirated, bigger engine with similar BMEP and effective compression - yet better economy and daily drive - includes ALL the worthwhile valve event tricks of Miami without the massive engineering overhead, and supercharger loss.

Read my blog from link in sig.

More cubes, less loss, better efficiency, that is all.

Last edited:

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Tuned a few of these 5.0 s/c miamis and they seriously haul arse on the dyno and off but thats neither here nor there really guys

That report on the match is extremely fair and ive been there done both vehicles and it couldn't be more fair if they tried

Iam a ford man through and through and love tuning them ( dedicated ford tuner so far ) and iam in a VF

It says alot

And iam happy in this bus currently:)

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS

You could also add diff gears, clutch or stall, injectors fuel pump and surge then tune, there's another 5grand.

Cheaper to go forced induction

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I'm gonna be honest here guys. If i could get given a brand new SS or XR8 for free right now, I'd probably be driving to work in a ford tomorrow :hiding:

I'm a holden man always but that power package is just so awesome. Even after reading wheels magazine saying the brakes and handling weren't up to the crack.

And power is everything????? F*** off!! Who gives a rats arse if a Falcon blows me off at the lights? I don't care. I am more than happy enough to have whatever power the SSV has ... PLUS all the fruit that comes with it. AND .... I can add some minor mods to satisfy the power need if I so choose at a moderate cost.

C'mon, it hurts a little :p