Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Window Tint

Middlestump

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Hi all

I'm located in Perth and looking to get a tint on my white VF SS sedan. I was going to get a dark tint but does anybody have any recommendations (either from what they have seen or otherwise) on what tint would look best - there are many providers with different options out there! I don't mind paying extra for a great looking finish.

Cheers!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
the one you like will look best. (seriously?)

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Do your research then go and inspect some samples if you're pedantic about the final look. Most tinters will have some tinted glass for you to inspect before deciding.

To start with think about the type of tint you want.

Metallic tint - Highly reflective and may affect radio or gps reception (not an issue on VF because the antenna is mounted on the outside)
Carbon tint - Less reflective so black looks "blacker". Supposedly lower quality so tint might turn purple after years in the sun (don't think this is an issue anymore)
Ceramic tint - Top of the range stuff and keeps the heat out better than the rest

The least reflective tint would look better on the white car imo.

In terms of brands, there are too many to choose from. In the end I went with the brand that most tinters seemed to stock and that was Solar Gard. My reasoning was that if it was rubbish tint then you would hear lots of people whinging about it. Doesn't seem to be the case. My second choice would have been 3M.

I went with the Solar Gard HP Supreme range. Its thinner than most tints so it supposedly has better clarity. Its also supposed to be easier to install and will wrap and stick to most surfaces. I was hoping it would stick nicely over the paint speckling on the border of the rear windows. It mostly didn't do this so looks slightly bubbly in these areas. I think this is unavoidable no matter what tint you use. The only down side with the thinner tint is that it may be less durable.

This stuff has been on my windows for 6 months and still looks flawless.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I generally use Tint A Car "Octane" tint, darkest legal and comes with a pretty good warranty, just don't pay the list price for it.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just had my perfect blue wagon tinted. Tint shop I went with offered SunTek CXP, Carbon and Infinity or 3M CS (Color Stable) tint. Disregarding the metallized Infinity, the SunTek had a slight green hue to it while the 3M had a slight blue hue to it and in my opinion looked blacker. I went with the 3M. I can't comment on its durability as I have only had it for 2 weeks. The owners of the business own a white VF R8 Clubsport and have it tinted in 3M 20% which may or may not be saying something. Certainly looked s#*t hot!

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
5% tint, it's the way to go IMO. Just hope you've got a reverse camera, because at night you cannot see out your windows!