Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV 6.0 Redline Commodore AUTO Sedan - exhaust recommendations

Gtx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss thunder
Let us now how ya go hope you get the result ya want, I had a 3" X force on my VE ute and loved it, added 4>1 headers and cats sounded a bit raspy added Cam and shake windows happened, best as a catback only

Have 2 3" KPMs(1 cammed) ve ute and full system on VF2 manual and love the sound
Interesting u say this coz im in this exact position exept my ve ute is cammed vcm and tune and im ready for exhaust now Would u say best as catback before or after cam im definitely not looking for shake windows happening but unsure if i shold go cats and 2.5 or 3inch cat back? Any recommendations would be sweet

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I recently had a VE Maloo that was cammed and already had 4-1's, high flow cats and a twin 3" Manta "loud" option with front hotdogs and rear mufflers. It got defected for noise, I sent the guy a "quiet" center with front muffler as well as hotdogs, he fitted that and it passed first go, so the Manta 3" cat back quiet version is legal. It's still loud, but not window rattling wake up the neighbours two streets over loud. When tested to the standard, it is legal.

With the car being cammed, I recommend 3", although 2 1/2" will be adequate. It will be quieter and do the job, but the 3" will open it up more and have more top end.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
I also agree Abba, I have learn't the hard way over time with everything from house reno's, to tractor's and getting work done on excavators, I only want to do it once and do it right, but its great reading and learning from Jumbo Jims contributions, as it has cost me more doing bits and pieces and adding bits on. When I got this car I knew in my head what I wanted to do and not just keep spending money. I now have the wheels I want and just want the exhaust note with around 350 to 400 kw, I am not lowering it as that takes the functionality right out of the car as the roads around here are terrible.

Monstar the Stage 3 Harrop kits consists of 1 7/8 headers , hi flow cats, 2.5 or 3 " exhaust, OTR plus dress up kit and Dyno tune. I am opne to any suggestions on similar for same hp gain for reasonable coin but Harrop do have an excellent name from what I can gather.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There’s not much if any difference between the power outputs of the different brands taking into account the sizes are equal, the difference is in the noise.

As there are differing opinions on what sounds good the best way to find what you like is have a listen to a few local cars then choose.

In my opinion if you're chasing a future 400kW then you’d need to start with a 3 inch with 1 7/8 and I’m a lover of 100 cell cats but they can be a little noisy on over run.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on whether they can break up their package and how much the OTR and tune would cost on their own. I do 1 7/8" 4-1's, the high flow cats and a 2 1/2" For $2560 or in 3" for $2860. Includes shipping and the nuts, bolts and gaskets as well as the LH O2 sensor loom extension.

The 4-1's are Hurricane and the rest is Manta.

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 1 Commodore SSV Redline
Depends on whether they can break up their package and how much the OTR and tune would cost on their own. I do 1 7/8" 4-1's, the high flow cats and a 2 1/2" For $2560 or in 3" for $2860. Includes shipping and the nuts, bolts and gaskets as well as the LH O2 sensor loom extension.

The 4-1's are Hurricane and the rest is Manta.
This would be for mild steel wouldn't it NAAF? Thanks

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Thats sounds a very fair price Abba and I guess you can get cold air intake probably for around $400 or something? I had been advised to stay away from 3 " in a wagon as it can get that dreaded drone. I like the sharp hard crackle of an exhaust and I have heard them before on L77 and LS3 motors with out being silly loud, I also have a VROD which sounds incredible when on the power so I am familiar with the sort of exhaust notes that I like.
Certainly would not like the drone noise, funny enough this stock standard is quite down low but sounds good when really giving it to it up around 6 000 rpms, just want a bit more of a crack and bark down below this.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
As well as obviously stainless being a far superior material, wouldn,t it also give a better exhaust note? Is this what you were thinking Jimbo?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Go the stainless if it’s a keeper simply because of its longevity.

The mild steel will often sound deeper than the stainless depending on the thickness of the materials used.

Some like the mechanical sound of stainless and others like the depth that comes from the mild.