Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV 6.0 Redline Commodore AUTO Sedan - exhaust recommendations

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 1 Commodore SSV Redline
Hey all, I have read loads of the forum posts going back years and there is lots of opinion regarding exhausts. But, it's left me uncertain and I would welcome any current opinion.

I have an 2.5 inch X-force mild steel cat back. System let's out a nice growl on start up, and sounds pretty good (roar) when you put the boot down. But, I do feel it drones a bit at certain speeds at low revs. Becomes a bit tiresome on long journey's sometimes. I would describe the overall sound of the exhaust as "raspy", "continuous", "dry" and a bit "monotone". It doesn't have enough rumble.

I don't think this situation is helped by the plastic boot liner which must surely be contributing a "drummy" effect. As an aside, has anyone tried lining the boot with sound deadener and did it help??

I'm not really chasing performance, and I'm not too bothered about fuel economy, I just want the car to sound good, fairly loud without being ridiculous, and the nice V8 burble.
I don't want to spend massive amounts. A budget of $2,000 - $2,500 preferably... Maybe a bit more if I think I will be blown away by the results.. $3,000?
I'm in Adelaide and most likely prefer to have a shop fit the exhaust.
It will likely be a once off spend, not the start of a series of upgrades as I'll probably change the car in 3-5 years.. who knows..

A lot of people seem to rate the Manta for price/performance. But, overall I am currently leaning towards either Di-filippo or KPM 3 inch cat back as they seem to be highly regarded.. Though it seems you could get a full system from some places for similar money?!... And, then there is the xforce varex systems at least give you the option of toning it down if you get tired of the noise...

Then you have the headers and cats options, and OTR....

If YOU were ME, and were in my position, how would you spend the money??

Any feedback very much appreciated. many thanks in advance....!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them, although be prepared for possibly worse drone than you had before.
If you still have AFM active, you may want to get it turned off and see how your current 2.5 inch system sounds first, although it's still never going to be in the same league as a 3 inch from the above brands.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Di-filippo (DPE) exhausts have the best deepest sound I have ever heard on Commodores. Walkinshaw uses them as well on their packages. A few owners I have talked to say they didn't have any droan from their dpe systems.

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
Banjo - AFM is already off but thanks for your input.
CRVEE8 - thanks for your comments too. Yes, DPE seem to be a good option.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
I've got the full dpe 2.5" on my VE wagon (auto with AFM disabled) and I find it drones quite a lot, especially around 1800-2100rpm

Sure, it sounds great, but you'll still be in the same boat as the x-force with regard to droning

I've heard there's an option of a 'quiet' manta system which might be worth looking at

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Wagons are the worst for drone though, so you'll always hear less of it in a sedan and I'll assume, next to nothing in a ute.
Someone recently stated on this forum, that although Walky use DPE, it is a slightly modified version. I'm not sure in what way, or if its rock solid info (no offence to the poster of that comment), but it might be something to bear in mind if you automatically think that because a Walky won't drone my DPE won't either.
I think KPM use to guarantee that their systems wouldn't drone, but drone is very subjective, especially for a business owner and getting your money back if your saying "it still drones" might not be straightforward......or it might be very easy. Not that it's relevant, but my full 2.5 system from them is drone free, on a wagon and sounds great, but definitely not the sound your chasing though JumboJim, 3 inch required.
NAAF must be on leave, when he pipes in, he will give you your options with a Manta system and tell it like it is.
Honestly if it was me in a capital city, I'd send a generic email to every shop in Adelaide and try and find a 3 inch cat back system that I could listen to. Failing that, a carton of Crownies to anyone in Adelaide on this forum with any of the brands that your keen on. Beer motivates, you should have Commy's choking your street.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have a sedan, and wanted to avoid drone at all costs.

After much deliberation ended up with the 2.5 manta in quiet, but with 4-1 headers and 100 CPI cats.

Sounds mean when you need it to, quiet when you need it. Perfect compromise.

In all honesty based on videos I think the walkisnshaw system sounds better, but was worried about drone.

If I did it again I would give the walkinshaw system a go, but also very happy with my manta.

ThunderLizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 A6
just a thought, would getting headers and cats, OTR and tune improve the depth of note? I've got a full x-force 2.5" SS system on mine (Auto AFM off) and i don't get drone, and i think the sound its great. I'm can't comment on the other systems though. NAAF rates the Manta and guarantees no drone with the quiet option. I would have went with the Manta, had i not had Tekno do the work. They weren't keen on fitting a system from someone else. I'm happy with my system though, but would have still loved to hear a few others before buying.

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a good question TL. I was wondering the same thing...
I could keep the current xforce cat back and add cats and headers for a similar cost (Di Filipino or Kpm) to changing the cat back alone. Not sure if this is the way I should go. And do I need a tune if upgrading if extending from just cat back to full exhaust... ?? Amy help appreciated!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Mate it is about specification not brand BS. This is not first floor David Jones, pipes are not art!
I have no drone, straight through high quality stainless 2.5" with bimodal rears, bent between the thighs of a 17 year old virgin with vibrating kid gloves on. Nah, the trick is to think of the exhaust like a wind instrument, where predominantly diameter affects velocity and (beyond header design) its length has more impact on sound (frequency).
Drone in our cars happens to hit the same note as a tenor trombone at E2 BTW. In other words to tune performance post headers we talk diameter, to tune sound we talk length. Given all fumes must exit the rear, that's how tuning the location of intersecting pulses with an X or H comes into play. There is an ideal length at any given frequency pulse according to revolution and the design of intersection. Locating the X-pipe (or H-pipe if you prefer sound over substance) at the correct tuned length will sound great and counter drone.
Plenty of threads about that here too.

Last edited: