Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV - 6.0L L77 - Misfire when cold - P0301 & P069E

Rayrayrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hey Guys,
So over the last couple days I've starting getting a misfire (narrowed down to cylinder 1 via fault code P0301).
This is usually accompanied with the 'Service ESP' displayed on dash.
Clear as day when it drops / misfires - Sounds like a boxer engine, rough idle and when pulling upto lights can feel it jolt / jerk.
Now it seems like I'm only really getting this on a cold start. Once the engines up to temp the misfire goes away or is not noticeable.

So from reading the forums, would appear to be one or more - Coil pack, Lead, Spark or Injector.....

So far I've check the leads - Doesn't appear to have any clear indication of shorting / melting / erosion etc
Pulled the spark plug - Not the worst I've seen but probably due for a replacement - Pic attached for someone's opinion.

I haven't swapped the coil packs, leads or spark plug to another cylinder yet (due to time) but will be looking at it this weekend.

Now, I'm also getting the error P069E which appears to be a fuel pump control module issue.

I'm no mechanic, but am rather handy - so happy to give fixing this a crack - also cannot get to my mechanic for approx 2 weeks.
And if i can fix it myself, save myself some money and learn some things.

Oh car is 2014 VF S1 L77 - Just hitting 120k..
Car is stock minus VCM OTR intake and a catback.
- I have seen people mention given the MAF a clean aswell - which ill try.

I have a basic OBD2 tool - CR319
Multi meter
But I don't have any other fancy mechanic tools, besides your stock standard home tools.

So looking for some advice :)

- My thoughts with the secondary code P069E... I'm trying to think if this could be the main root of the issue, but struggle to see how this would only cause a misfire on a singular cylinder.... also the car runs fine when not misfiring and gets up and goes. So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong fuel wise.... (could be wrong though).

- So I'm thinking of trying to tackle the misfire first and then look at that next - apparently there's no access hatch under the seat in a VF and the tank will need to be dropped to inspect connectors etc for the fuel pump????

- Would a dodgy coil pack cause the intermittent misfires?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks gents.

Attachments

• IMG_9795.jpg
    IMG_9795.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9796.jpg
    IMG_9796.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9797.jpg
    IMG_9797.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9798.jpg
    IMG_9798.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

baldy-calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Hey Guys,
So over the last couple days I've starting getting a misfire (narrowed down to cylinder 1 via fault code P0301).
This is usually accompanied with the 'Service ESP' displayed on dash.
Clear as day when it drops / misfires - Sounds like a boxer engine, rough idle and when pulling upto lights can feel it jolt / jerk.
Now it seems like I'm only really getting this on a cold start. Once the engines up to temp the misfire goes away or is not noticeable.

So from reading the forums, would appear to be one or more - Coil pack, Lead, Spark or Injector.....

So far I've check the leads - Doesn't appear to have any clear indication of shorting / melting / erosion etc
Pulled the spark plug - Not the worst I've seen but probably due for a replacement - Pic attached for someone's opinion.

I haven't swapped the coil packs, leads or spark plug to another cylinder yet (due to time) but will be looking at it this weekend.

Now, I'm also getting the error P069E which appears to be a fuel pump control module issue.

I'm no mechanic, but am rather handy - so happy to give fixing this a crack - also cannot get to my mechanic for approx 2 weeks.
And if i can fix it myself, save myself some money and learn some things.

Oh car is 2014 VF S1 L77 - Just hitting 120k..
Car is stock minus VCM OTR intake and a catback.
- I have seen people mention given the MAF a clean aswell - which ill try.

I have a basic OBD2 tool - CR319
Multi meter
But I don't have any other fancy mechanic tools, besides your stock standard home tools.

So looking for some advice :)

- My thoughts with the secondary code P069E... I'm trying to think if this could be the main root of the issue, but struggle to see how this would only cause a misfire on a singular cylinder.... also the car runs fine when not misfiring and gets up and goes. So there doesn't seem to be anything wrong fuel wise.... (could be wrong though).

- So I'm thinking of trying to tackle the misfire first and then look at that next - apparently there's no access hatch under the seat in a VF and the tank will need to be dropped to inspect connectors etc for the fuel pump????

- Would a dodgy coil pack cause the intermittent misfires?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks gents.
spark plug is U/S when was the last time they were changed?????

Rayrayrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
spark plug is U/S when was the last time they were changed?????
Yeah, I just checked previous service logs. Can’t actually see them as being changed. Unless it wasn’t written on the work log.

However made some progress today.

Changed the plug and leads and then swapped the coil pack over from another cylinder.

Problem remained on cylinder 1.

So I believe it’s narrowed down to the injector.

Used the old long flat head screw driver trick to listen to the injector and there’s a very noticeable difference between that cylinder and others.

Sounds like it’s still spraying (barely) but most likely clogged or just on its way out.

Going to test the injector tomorrow
With the multimeter to see what it reads.

Will keep this tread updated with my results.

Rayrayrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Update, so got around to replacing all plugs and leads. Cleaned a few things up whilst I was in there… maf etc.

Got the multi meter out and the injector gave an open circuit.

So it’s cactus.

New one coming in the mail :)

After testing and re plugging the injector it is now throwing the dtc code for open circuit on that injector.

Sprog Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm V6 - 3.8L
Update, so got around to replacing all plugs and leads. Cleaned a few things up whilst I was in there… maf etc.

Got the multi meter out and the injector gave an open circuit.

So it’s cactus.

New one coming in the mail :)

After testing and re plugging the injector it is now throwing the dtc code for open circuit on that injector

My vehicle had a rough idle from new. Misfire in cylinder 1 discovered at 30,000km. Turns out to be a horizontal gouge in no. 1. Check if its down in compression in that cylinder. If it is get a camera down there and see if there is any gouging evident.

Sprog Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Storm V6 - 3.8L
My vehicle had a rough idle from new. Misfire in cylinder 1 discovered at 30,000km. Turns out to be a horizontal gouge in no. 1. Check if its down in compression in that cylinder. If it is get a camera down there and see if there is any gouging evident.
I replaced spark plugs, swapped coil packs, injectors to no avail..... :(