Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSV Lifter noise

VFSSVCUintheNt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv ute
I am sure there will be some other threads on here about this however have purchased a vf ssv ute about a month ago with only 14000kms on it. Lately I have noticed very noisy lifter when engine at running temp. Has anyone had lifters replaced under warranty from Holden? Or am I dreaming?? I have heard that many dealers say this is normal. Common maybe but in my opinion normal? I don't think so!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
My dealer brushed of what I thought was a noisy lifter as an "aftermarket" exhaust noise. Turned out to be a noise from a loose spark plug found by another mech, but that's beside the point.
I would say from my experience, it would have to be insanely in your effin face obvious for Holden to go lifter hunting, though if you can put it up against a sweet sounding (do they exist?) VF L77 for the service managers listening displeasure and it sounds different enough, you might have a case.

VFSSVCUintheNt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv ute
Took it to the dealer today. Service Manager agreed yes there is an unusual ticking noise although was very quick to rule out lifter issues. He did look baffled has suggested we start with replacing O2 sensor. hmmmmm. not convinced. Watch this space.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can you video it for us? It's not clear whether it is an L77 or LS3?

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
If yours is a 6.0ltr then yes they do seem to make a bit of noise which apparently is normal! But if you have a LS3 then I would be quite concerned.
I had a E series Maloo for 6yrs never heard anything unusual and I now have a VF LS3 and no noise like you described. I would look for a good mechanic if you don't already now one and ask him to checkout. Holden dealer will always try to fob you off they don't like warranty work

VFSSVCUintheNt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv ute
Can you video it for us? It's not clear whether it is an L77 or LS3?
Sorry mate its an L77. The injector noise is definitely there, this is above and beyond that sounds ridiculous for a car that hasn't even done 15,000 yet. I will try and get a vid up