Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 (2017) Catch Can placement

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Hi All
Advice on where to fit Catch Can pls? Suggested location was onto the radiator bracket, however how does this go if you have an OTR. Alternative fitting locations ?
Thanks Juan

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Hi All
Advice on where to fit Catch Can pls? Suggested location was onto the radiator bracket, however how does this go if you have an OTR. Alternative fitting locations ?
Thanks Juan
Where did you get your catch can from?

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Where did you get your catch can from?
I have not yet ordered one. Trying to get best option to suit fitment. The Elite for the LFX fits to engine cover plug but its not a bolt type on the Commodore. Any suggestions on which type ?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
There's nothing to directly fit the LFX in the VF bracketry-wise. I felt that ideally something mounted fairly solidly was the go. After looking at the options I liked the design of the Elite can so bought their LFX one and made a bracket to provide a mounting point for the Elite LFX bracket instead of the engine cover plug bolt. Have had it on for most of the car's life. Works great, gets about 1.5 to 2 cm deep liquid in the bottom chamber per 6000km oil change interval which I empty out when I change the engine oil. I've attached some snaps of my installation.
Don't bother with the oil filler replacement catch can accessory. You cannot fit the engine cover with this because the recess in the engine cover for the oil filler is quite deep and the hose exit point from the Elite unit is half way up the wall of the recess in the engine cover. You'd have to absolutely butcher the engine cover to fit it. Not worth the bother as this part only catches vapour at long bursts of full throttle - not something seen on the street.

Pic#1 Looks almost factory in this location. Not in the way of anything either. Not in line with the accessory drive belt. I had a small front timing cover oil leak repaired under warranty and this installation presented no problem at all according to the mechanic at the dealership.
1.jpg

Pic#2 Easily clears the engine cover so no issue created when removing/replacing the cover. Very easy to unscrew the bottom chamber of the can to empty it being mounted in this location too.
2.jpg

Pic#3 Close up of the mount to the front timing cover. Just used 2 slightly longer bolts. The two bolts I used were chosen because they are only holding other brackets and are not front timing cover attaching bolts.
3.jpg

Just used a piece of steel angle scrap laying around. A bit of shaping/removing unnecessary material, a few holes, a fold, a squirt of black and all done. Rock solid.
4.jpg

Pic#5 Hose layout. The Elite Kit comes with the right amount of hose. It's a great kit actually. Just needs another bracket for the VF Commodore!
I didn't trim their bracket in case I needed the hole at the end for something in future. It's under the engine cover so you don't see it.
5.jpg

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
There's nothing to directly fit the LFX in the VF bracketry-wise. I felt that ideally something mounted fairly solidly was the go. After looking at the options I liked the design of the Elite can so bought their LFX one and made a bracket to provide a mounting point for the Elite LFX bracket instead of the engine cover plug bolt. Have had it on for most of the car's life. Works great, gets about 1.5 to 2 cm deep liquid in the bottom chamber per 6000km oil change interval which I empty out when I change the engine oil. I've attached some snaps of my installation.
Don't bother with the oil filler replacement catch can accessory. You cannot fit the engine cover with this because the recess in the engine cover for the oil filler is quite deep and the hose exit point from the Elite unit is half way up the wall of the recess in the engine cover. You'd have to absolutely butcher the engine cover to fit it. Not worth the bother as this part only catches vapour at long bursts of full throttle - not something seen on the street.

Pic#1 Looks almost factory in this location. Not in the way of anything either. Not in line with the accessory drive belt. I had a small front timing cover oil leak repaired under warranty and this installation presented no problem at all according to the mechanic at the dealership.
View attachment 198825

Pic#2 Easily clears the engine cover so no issue created when removing/replacing the cover. Very easy to unscrew the bottom chamber of the can to empty it being mounted in this location too.
View attachment 198826

Pic#3 Close up of the mount to the front timing cover. Just used 2 slightly longer bolts. The two bolts I used were chosen because they are only holding other brackets and are not front timing cover attaching bolts.
View attachment 198827

Just used a piece of steel angle scrap laying around. A bit of shaping/removing unnecessary material, a few holes, a fold, a squirt of black and all done. Rock solid.
View attachment 198828

Pic#5 Hose layout. The Elite Kit comes with the right amount of hose. It's a great kit actually. Just needs another bracket for the VF Commodore!
I didn't trim their bracket in case I needed the hole at the end for something in future. It's under the engine cover so you don't see it.
View attachment 198829
Thanks mate. That is brilliant. Thanks for the info and photos, and a great job with the fitment. So just to confirm pls, you ordered their Standard Can with upgraded hose & fittings to Suit Camaro LFXV6 and this came with correct bracket ? Also, would you be able to provide a measurement for the length of the bracket you made up ? again, thanks for the reply and info. Cheers

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Thanks mate. That is brilliant. Thanks for the info and photos, and a great job with the fitment. So just to confirm pls, you ordered their Standard Can with upgraded hose & fittings to Suit Camaro LFXV6 and this came with correct bracket ? Also, would you be able to provide a measurement for the length of the bracket you made up ? again, thanks for the reply and info. Cheers

Yeah the LFX Camaro kit with upgraded hoses. From memory the piece of scrap angle was 170mm when I started. If you zoom in you can see where I've removed excess material to make it look good. Took a few hrs fettling with hacksaw, grinder, file and drill. Worth the effort though. Also loctite the can to the Elite bracket and the single bolt between the 2 brackets. Has never come loose and is solid as...

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Yeah the LFX Camaro kit with upgraded hoses. From memory the piece of scrap angle was 170mm when I started. If you zoom in you can see where I've removed excess material to make it look good. Took a few hrs fettling with hacksaw, grinder, file and drill. Worth the effort though. Also loctite the can to the Elite bracket and the single bolt between the 2 brackets. Has never come loose and is solid as...
Cheers again saroadie. On another subject, if you know, any recommendation for a Tuner in SA ?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
No tuner recommendations, sorry. I have not played with the drive-line in this car. I don't think the missus will take kindly to another project at this point.

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
@saroadie
Hi mate, sorry to dig up an older thread.
I am in the process of fitting thisbsame catch can onto my sv6. I have so far made a bracket to mount in a position simialr to yours.
Juat curious about the fittings...did you use, or should I use, any type of thread tape or sealant on the fittings into the catch can?
And as for cutting into the factory pipes did you use and adaptors or just put the supplied hose directly onto the factory pipe with the supplied clips?

Cheers in advance