Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Tow Bar Wiring Harness

Ibz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS WAGON
May be a faulty module? Check wiring and plugs and if all ok talk to seller ;)

Other than that, are you using led bulbs in the rear lamps of your car? If so, install incandescent bulbs and see if that resolves the issue.

I also vaguely remember reading that some female trailer plugs had a read switch with a magnet on the flap. Such an arrangement would signal the module when the trailer plug was in use (flap opened). In such cases the module must have had a wire for such signalling… but not sure if Holden ever used such systems in their genuine tow bar wiring and modules.

It's a brand new module straight from Holden dealership and new wiring, plug and play.

All globes are standard on the car, I'm thinking it must need to be programmed by dealership because it now thinks there is a trailer attached, I'm just hoping it didn't damage the BCM.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i would first check the programming and the rear plug and if it is not that the module might be cactus.
it can be brand new from the factory and be a dud out of the box.

if your vehicle never had a towbar and you just bought the module and self installed the kit it needs to be programmed.

Ibz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS WAGON
i would first check the programming and the rear plug and if it is not that the module might be cactus.
it can be brand new from the factory and be a dud out of the box.

if your vehicle never had a towbar and you just bought the module and self installed the kit it needs to be programmed.

I'll take it to the dealership tomorrow and get them to sus it out because it's never had a towbar before. I've unplugged the module but it's still flashing left and right indicators fast, it still thinks it's plugged into the car.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'll take it to the dealership tomorrow and get them to sus it out because it's never had a towbar before. I've unplugged the module but it's still flashing left and right indicators fast, it still thinks it's plugged into the car.

it could just be that an error is still present in the system and the fast flashing is the visual message to inspect the system.

some errors once logged remain there until reset.

you could try disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then put it back on then start the vehicle, then check if it is back to normal.

Ibz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS WAGON
it could just be that an error is still present in the system and the fast flashing is the visual message to inspect the system.

some errors once logged remain there until reset.

you could try disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then put it back on then start the vehicle, then check if it is back to normal.

I will give that a crack and hopefully it works but if not I'm sure it's got to do with programming. I can't see anything getting damaged when it's just plug and play.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I will give that a crack and hopefully it works but if not I'm sure it's got to do with programming. I can't see anything getting damaged when it's just plug and play.

who installed it, dealer or diy?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It can’t be a lack of programming as that ”function“ only changes the flash period (from 3 to 6 when trailer attached) and also adjusts the rear sensor sensitivity so it doesn’t beep incessantly (when the towbar is attached). It also gives MyLink a towbar setting button which the owner can switch on or off…

I‘d also expect the module would act as an isolator and not impact the brake/indicator impedance checks on start up, else there is no strong functional reason for having such a module…

If the vehicle wasn’t programmed for a towbar module, I’d expect no consequence other than the is essential beeping from the rear sensors when in reverse. As already mentioned, try a battery disconnect, wait, and battery reconnect which gives the vehicle a cold reboot :p

Still think the module is faulty (dead on arrival) as such things happen occasionally.

When you take it to Holden, get them to check the module and advise… They'd probably be inclined to want a fee to program it for a cheap $440 as has been discussed previously in another thread… If the module Is faulty, they should replace it under warranty which should include their labour to remove and replace (consequential costs are covered under ACL statutory warranty on spare parts ;))

PS: VF’s may be a little different to VE’s but I assume you followed the VF instructions that came with the wiring harness and module. Still very much plug and play sans the programing).

Ibz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS WAGON
It can’t be a lack of programming as that ”function“ only changes the flash period (from 3 to 6 when trailer attached) and also adjusts the rear sensor sensitivity so it doesn’t beep incessantly (when the towbar is attached). It also gives MyLink a towbar setting button which the owner can switch on or off…

I‘d also expect the module would act as an isolator and not impact the brake/indicator impedance checks on start up, else there is no strong functional reason for having such a module…

If the vehicle wasn’t programmed for a towbar module, I’d expect no consequence other than the is essential beeping from the rear sensors when in reverse. As already mentioned, try a battery disconnect, wait, and battery reconnect which gives the vehicle a cold reboot :p

Still think the module is faulty (dead on arrival) as such things happen occasionally.

When you take it to Holden, get them to check the module and advise… They'd probably be inclined to want a fee to program it for a cheap $440 as has been discussed previously in another thread… If the module Is faulty, they should replace it under warranty which should include their labour to remove and replace (consequential costs are covered under ACL statutory warranty on spare parts ;))

PS: VF’s may be a little different to VE’s but I assume you followed the VF instructions that came with the wiring harness and module. Still very much plug and play sans the programing).

I'll take it in tomorrow and see what they say, there was another bloke in another thread saying he had the same issues and programming sorted it out. Just a absolute joke that something made for the car by Holden isn't a 100% plug and play.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'll take it in tomorrow and see what they say, there was another bloke in another thread saying he had the same issues and programming sorted it out. Just a absolute joke that something made for the car by Holden isn't a 100% plug and play.
Isn't it labour day in Victoria and Tasmania? Do Holden dealers work on labour day?

Whatever, just make sure that they don’t ream you on the price of programming if that’s what’s needed.

And if they do program it and that doesn’t fix the fault, I wouldn’t pay for programing and still expect them to replace the module gratis.

I would program the vehicle myself with $200 Vxdian Nano and a $55 GM SPS subscription. That way you have the diagnostic tools to do much much more without having to again see a Holden dealer (if that’s something that floats your boat).

Here’s that thread discussing the $440 Holden reaming :eek:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-ii-calais-v-towbar-wiring.273788/post-3248741