Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF tyre load rating & 20" wheels

AJAY79

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Storm Sportswagon
Hi all,

First post here ( please go easy )

I have searched and searched, yet remain confused..

For those that are running 20” wheels on their VF, what tyres are you using?

I found a forum vendor that sell tyres that comply with the load rating for the VF, but after looking through a few build threads ive noticed that most are not using them..

Are you using tyres that don’t comply with the standard load rating and hope that there are no ramifications with the law / insurance etc? Or how are you getting around it?

Ive noticed that most of the 2015 SV6 Storm’s are now fitted with 20” HSVi wheels as standard – I had a quick look at the tyre placard and it states a load rating of 95.

Can I just get a new placard from Holden for my Storm ( that came with the standard 18” wheels ) – if so, should I have anything to worry about law / insurance wise??

Thanks in advance..

AJAY79

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Storm Sportswagon
FYI - im not a cop looking to put anyones name in the book!!

Im genuinely curious ( ok, confused )

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
putting a new tyre placard on doesnt circumvent the adr's the car was built to comply with, so buy all the stickers you want, if you run the incorrect load rating expect your car to be unroadworthy and your insurance to be void if the need to use it pops up.

AJAY79

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Storm Sportswagon
Thanks for that, however, that's where the confusion stems.

A lot of SV6 Storms are fitted as standard with 20" HSVi wheels, and the tyre placard states a load rating of 95 - does this mean that Holden is breaking the law?

Is there anything (apart from the placard itself) to distinguish what wheels/tyres should be fitted to the car?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
.........if you run the incorrect load rating expect your car to be unroadworthy and your insurance to be void if the need to use it pops up.

A couple of words like possibly and maybe should be used here as not complying with load ratings is a risk you take like many mods that may not be legal.

Even though the insurance company will have outs written into their policies for vehicles that do not comply, in many some cases they don’t even bother to look.

Check your State’s Road Authority’s requirements in regard to load ratings and that way you’ll have a definitive answer.

Personally I believe it’s a law that should be adhered to but there is definitely a big grey area when the same vehicle in different model variants with the same load capacities comes with different placards only because they were sold with difference rim and tyre combos.

If the load rating on a tyre to suit an SSV with factory optioned 20’s is ok then an SS with the higher load rating factory fitted 18’s should also be suitable for the upgraded 20’s as long as the load rating for the SSV 20's is used.

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Thanks for that, however, that's where the confusion stems.

A lot of SV6 Storms are fitted as standard with 20" HSVi wheels, and the tyre placard states a load rating of 95 - does this mean that Holden is breaking the law?

Is there anything (apart from the placard itself) to distinguish what wheels/tyres should be fitted to the car?

there may have been a change/update between years. load ratings should be on file with holden for each vehicle/model. speak to holden about whether the update is retrospective to the earlier vf or only for newr ones.

A couple of words like possibly and maybe should be used here as not complying with load ratings is a risk you take like many mods that may not be legal.

Even though the insurance company will have outs written into their policies for vehicles that do not comply, in many some cases they don’t even bother to look.

Check your State’s Road Authority’s requirements in regard to load ratings and that way you’ll have a definitive answer.

Personally I believe it’s a law that should be adhered to but there is definitely a big grey area when the same vehicle in different model variants with the same load capacities comes with different placards only because they were sold with various rim and tyre combos.

If a tyre load rating suits an SSV with factory optioned 20’s then an SS with the lower load rating factory fitted 18’s should also be suitable for the upgraded 20’s as long as the load rating for the SSV is used.

if we add "possibly" and "maybe" some people read that as "sounds like its legal, s'all good, nothing to worry about".

point is, IF the insurance company wants to wriggle out of it, they'll use any reason they can. better someone reads these posts and goes "ooh better not" than go "but the fellas on the internet said itd be fine".

AJAY79

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Storm Sportswagon
Thanks again.

Im still interested to hear from those that have gone down this path - what tyres are you using??

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Continentals, as fitted to Gen-F's

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I had no name 20" tyres on my 20" rims. They met the weight standard but doing some higher speeds on a trip to broken hill I got a vibration so I backed off. On inspection the inside sidewall let go and bulges out perhaps 30mm for about 150-200mm long. Scary. On the way back had an issue with the other rear. So a set if factory 18"s were sourced with the 245/45 which have the 100 load index and never had a problem since.