Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF VIN numbers and there breakdown

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Could not help myself had to do it now. Nothing in there That I can see. Digit 4 to 8 Are Model. Body type. restraint System. Transmission Type. and Engine If I could see that a different trim number meant the same Trim but different stitching I would say that's it.

See Option seats for the SV6 (Extra $$$$) are the same as SSV and SSV Redline being JET BLACK interior with jet black leather appointed seats. My seats aca the trim for a SV6 Storm 2015 My15 is the Kenetic Suede and Sportec Appointed seats. Same as a SS
Well I have Trim number 4AA with Red Stitching 2015 MY15). Since all Redline TRIM aca the seats are the same for I think the series it would be interesting if members with Redline can tell me the year of their car and the colour stitching they have. As far As I have worked out so but not 100% sure if correct so far models Redline 2013 and 14 most or if not all have red stitching. models 2015, and 2016 have white stitching.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
All Commodore VIN's start with 6G1F. The next digit designates the vehicle's model, i.e. A is Evoke, B is SV6, C is SS and so on. The next digit is the body style, 5 = Sedan, 3 = Wagon and 8 = Ute. The next digit is always E. Then the engine code is the next digit, followed by a Control number (Sometimes this is an X), then the vehicle's model year code ( A= 2010, B=2011, C=2012, etc), then the letter L, followed by the car's actual serial number, which is a 6 digit number.

A Sample VF VIN should look like 6G1FA5ENXGL123456 (this would be an MY16 Evoke Sedan).

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Cheers Tim

VFSV6FORME , If you give a VIN to holden, they can punch it in to the system and tell you all the details of the car..

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Noting that they don't do this by 'decoding' the VIN in order to calculate trim, colours, factory-options etc; they're just using the VIN to check their records regarding the build/order/sale.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Depending on the parts program they can either search by VIN lookup (MicroCat has this ability and im pretty sure quite a few dealers use this program)which decodes the VIN and will give the options available as per that VIN. But they can also roll it back a step and search without a VIN designation in there which will show all available options.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
All Commodore VIN's start with 6G1F. The next digit designates the vehicle's model, i.e. A is Evoke, B is SV6, C is SS and so on. The next digit is the body style, 5 = Sedan, 3 = Wagon and 8 = Ute. The next digit is always E. Then the engine code is the next digit, followed by a Control number (Sometimes this is an X), then the vehicle's model year code ( A= 2010, B=2011, C=2012, etc), then the letter L, followed by the car's actual serial number, which is a 6 digit number.

A Sample VF VIN should look like 6G1FA5ENXGL123456 (this would be an MY16 Evoke Sedan).

Your a good man my friend because that exactly what I did last night comparing my SV6 to my mates SS I broke everything down as the above link and away I went. Well i'm learning a bit everyday.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Tim

VFSV6FORME , If you give a VIN to holden, they can punch it in to the system and tell you all the details of the car..
Yes thanks as all I was trying to do is learn this stuff before I approach the Holden dealer to order the HOOD with RED stitching because If I do what you say and he tells me its got white stitching I will have to rattle off another VIN number and tell him to check that to see if its got red stitching. He will possibly scratch his head and wonder what I'm up to. See the trick is I have gathered a collection of VIN Numbers from cars for sale on line but some sellers say the photo is just a photo and is not the actual car for sale and this is where the problem lies.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

I think "L" is where the Vehicle was made at what plant and in our case there is only one plant being Adelaide

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
You're correct about the factory code for locally built Holden's being an L. We also have B, C and K for some Korean imports (GM has multiple factories in Korea) and Colorado's have an H. GM's VIN's are quite easy to decipher, unlike some other manufacturer's.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride