Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High K's on a VF

CrunchGreenGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE/VF SV6
Im looking art VF SV6's for sale (around 2013-2014)
generally looking at manuals, and most manuals in my price range are around 180-200 thousand k's on the motor, i think generally id consider this to be high k's,
however im wondering if its worth it? im seeing some with low prices as the market starts to come down but im not too sure how long the motors run for and i wouldnt necessarily want to face a bunch of issues like 50thousand from now, i know the LFX motors in the VF can be better than the original alloyech but im not sure.
any help as to whether or not its worth it/ anecdotes on the LFX v6 at high k's would be appreciated, thanks.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I recently bought a Calais V wagon with a LFX in it with 275,000 on the clock.

It is still running well and I am just ensuring I do several short span km oil changes.

I had to change some suspension and brake parts but for the price I paid I was willing to invest some $$$$

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
You should look at the overall condition (interior & exterior) & documented service history of the car.

Most modern cars which have been cared for (different from babied around), serviced as per schedule and mostly used for longer distances/ highways should not pose any major issues at 180-200k kms. Things like a dinged up tow hitch, sagging suspension, worn out tires, paint damage, dents etc. may indicate something you should walk away from. Get a qualified mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection ($200-$300 at Holden dealers) for peace of mind.

Keep aside some $$$ to spend on service (engine oil, filters, gearbox, diff, brake fluid) or to replace worn out parts - brakes, suspension, tires, rubber seals etc.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I'd agree with all of that.

Additionally, I guess think about how much you'll use it. If the answer is "a lot", then you're going to turn a low-km one into a high-km one anyway. May as well get it cheap if you're going to have to sell it cheap!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Im looking art VF SV6's for sale (around 2013-2014)
generally looking at manuals, and most manuals in my price range are around 180-200 thousand k's on the motor, i think generally id consider this to be high k's,
Although the high km cars are cheaper, it's often these high km cars that are the worst value for money with sellers expecting way too much for a "half stuffed" one. I think realistically, a VF1 SV6 with 180,000+ isn't worth more than around $9500 tops!

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Although the high km cars are cheaper, it's often these high km cars that are the worst value for money with sellers expecting way too much for a "half stuffed" one. I think realistically, a VF1 SV6 with 180,000+ isn't worth more than around $9500 tops!
I’d potentially be focusing more on the transmission and suspension condition if I was in this market to buy.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
I've just bought a 2016 VF Evoke wagon with 263000 klm for $ 9400. One week later the car went down with a cracked torque converter. Around 1600 to replace so now im into it for around 11 K.
I'm happy with that, the car drives brilliant and dont expect much more than routine maintenance. Let ya know how i go.