Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF V's VE - upgrading my VZ - advice pls!!

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Hi All,

I am stumped, would like some advice!
looking at spending up to 25k, maybe 30k at a stretch - 2013 on

I currently have an 05 VZ wagon, looking at getting either VE 6ltr or VF 3.6ltr wagon
I have a VS 5ltr ute to play with, so OK with 3.6ltr - but will pay more for the 8 if the difference is worth it, specially if its much quicker than my VS

How many Km's becomes a risk without knowing what the cars been through? (even if its got a full service history)

I am trying to stay under 50k km, with the 6ltr thats damn near impossible 100k even unless I go 2010-ish

I am also wondering if anyone transport dogs in there VE/VF, my dog crate wont fit (VZ has a higher roof)

2 options:
Thinking about a cargo barrier behind the rear seats, then a second cargo barrier with a hinged door (I'll have to modify myself) near the tailgate
Or put down the double seat and modify the cargo barrier behind the front seats, build in a crate

I could go buy a twin cab 4X for less that would work great, but it wont be a commodore damn it!

Anything I need to look out for, pros and cons... give them to me!.
Seriously, if I don't make up my mind...I might keep the VZ...?!?!?!
But that may need an engine rebuild in the next few years

Tro

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Can't transport you dog in the VS?

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I do have a crate in the back of my VS, but its not ideal for longer trips or if the family are all together

Tro

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Tro, I was going to buy a VE SV6 utility. A mate, who has a VE SSV, told me that I should look at the VF.I looked at it and I just couldn't go back to the VE! So. . . . .I bit the bullet and bought a VF SSV. It cost me a heap more money, but I couldn't be happier! Just see me smile every time I drive it. :) :)

ThunderLizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 A6
I had a 2010 VE SV6 Series 1.5 (I say 1.5 as it had the SIDI, but not the upgraded interior). Great car, was good on fuel (avg about 8 on long drives, around 10-12 in town). Had it for 5 years, then upgraded to a VF 2015 SSVR. The difference is HUGE! Yes it's a V8, but it's just a joy to drive. I'd say the VF SV6 would be just as nice to drive, just without the extra grunt. But it's all personal preference. I think you should just go to your local dealer and take a couple for a test drive. Full service history is one thing, but check to see if it's had intermediate services (15k between services is ridiculous). Call me old fashioned, but i've ALWAYS done oil and filter at 7.5k. Even tyre wear is another sign of good maintenance. I like to regularly rotate/balance/wheel align every 15k if needed. I got 48k out of the stock yokohama's on the SV6. Anyway i digress. If you have a local mechanic you trust, take one for a drive and get him/her to look at it for you (RACQ do vehicle inspections too). Good luck! :)

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I just took the VF SV6 Storm for a ride, Love the interior!
Wasn't so impressed with the performance or ride over all??
My VZ was smoother on the road and feels like it has more torque, although that might be because of the gearing difference?

Really want to drive the SS 8 now!

Much difference between the VE and VF 8?
Obviously the VF is much nicer inside!

Tro

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think the VE interior would be more durable and easy to clean with dogs. Apart from that there's bugger all difference apart from a facelift with the 6.0, despite what you read. Both good cars.
Go with Series II 6.0 and invest money saved on sensible upgrades for safety, comfort, performance and longevity. Or like most, save up and go VF for the bling of facade.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I just took the VF SV6 Storm for a ride, Love the interior!
Wasn't so impressed with the performance or ride over all??
My VZ was smoother on the road and feels like it has more torque, although that might be because of the gearing difference?

Really want to drive the SS 8 now!

Much difference between the VE and VF 8?
Obviously the VF is much nicer inside!

Tro
If the VZ is smoother on the road, I figure this is because your VZ wagon is an Exec or Acclaim etc and the VZ wagons wagons aren't sports suspension and run the longer wheelbase same as a Statesman, and by comparison the SV6 VF is Sports suspension. If it's down to the SV6 suspension being too firm for your liking, there is always an Evoke wagon. They are only 3.0 litres though will be less power than the SV6 you drive. Alternately a Calais wagon suspension should be somewhere between SV6 and Evoke suspension, still has 3.6 litre or even a 6.0 litre