Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline towing and oil use

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Pretty normal for LS engines to use oil mate they all do it to some degree it gets pushed thru the pcv system and back into the air intake, if you were to remove your air intake pipe and look inside the throttle body and manifold you’ll see all the oily residue there can be fixed by installing an aftermarket oil catch can

Yeah, I was thinking about a catch can, it seems to be the done thing in the U.S, and everyone on the chevyss forum raves about them. Won't stop the slight oil consumption, but at least keeps the intake cleaner. Trouble is, car still has about 1.5 years of warranty left on it, and I don't know how Holden would feel about me installing a catch can if a warranty issue ever came up :).

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Great place to ask if anyone knows a clear quality made catch can setup for vf ls3?

So can see the fluid level without opening.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Pretty normal for LS engines to use oil mate they all do it to some degree it gets pushed thru the pcv system and back into the air intake, if you were to remove your air intake pipe and look inside the throttle body and manifold you’ll see all the oily residue there can be fixed by installing an aftermarket oil catch can
Does that not reduce crankcase ventilation to some degree, it naturaly creates vapour circulation to my understanding.

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Great place to ask if anyone knows a clear quality made catch can setup for vf ls3?

So can see the fluid level without opening.

I don't know if I would want a clear catch can. Would look a bit unsightly I think :) If I were to get one, I'd probably look at Elite Engineering in the U.S. They make Catch Cans specific for the LS3 and Chevy SS, and they appear to be of really high quality. Pricey though, about $200 U.S. Emptying of the oil is easy, just unscrew the bottom half of the can and pour out.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have a catch can on my Colorado and holden does not seem to mind, it didn't effect my warranty claim on a new engine because it was an oil burner.
as long as the catch cans intake and outlet pipes are not smaller than the pcv/pipes on the engine it shouldn't create any restriction that would cause a problem.

in the end it will come down to holden having to prove that your catch can was the cause of something going wrong in the engine to reject the warranty claim.
they cant void your entire warranty they can only reject a claim if the catch can was a cause of a problem so it is not like they can say your catch can was the cause of an injector failing etc.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I don't know if I would want a clear catch can. Would look a bit unsightly I think :) If I were to get one, I'd probably look at Elite Engineering in the U.S. They make Catch Cans specific for the LS3 and Chevy SS, and they appear to be of really high quality. Pricey though, about $200 U.S. Emptying of the oil is easy, just unscrew the bottom half of the can and pour out.
This is why I want it. A clear dirty whitey yellow catch can stands out less to me than a shiny red or black one while also showing fluid level

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.... Just be thankful you don't own an old Jag - those engines were designed to positively slurp oil at the rate of about a pint every 400 miles!
Being that old Jags are English, shouldn’t that be a pint every time you pass a pub?