Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV Redline Upgrades

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
G'Day Folks

VF2 Redline (auto) 25,000kms
Keen to extract more poke out of it but not really willing to go the supercharger route as I don't want the hassles of certification and a potentially large insurance price hike, although I may have to do this anyway with non-supercharger mods.

Daily driver, 90% city driving with a trip to the twisty roads couple times per month to stretch its legs. In the city I'm using about 20-22l/100ks but more like 25-27l/100ks with 'some' spirited driving.

Fuel economy is already terrifying (obviously due to cbd traffic rather than my right foot) and not interested in making it substantially worse. I don't wanna chase high rpms to find power, would prefer a stronger bottom and midrange. I like the exhaust note as is, plus the bi-modal function is my 'don't piss the neighbours off at 5am' card so would want to keep that if possible.

Can you suggest a package to suit?

I'm thinking OTR, Extractors, cams(although don't wan't a terribly lumpy idle) , Tune.......anything else?
Happy to pay a bit more for extra bits in order to safeguard the internals and drivetrain, I wanna keep this one.

Thanks in advance

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Having spent many $000s on naturally aspirated mods over the last 40 years, the best option for you (even though you are not willing) is supercharging, for effortless torque and power throughout the rev range.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Supercharging as the answer for someone that’s said they’ve been slightly not-excited about the fuel economy?

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Having spent many $000s on naturally aspirated mods over the last 40 years, the best option for you (even though you are not willing) is supercharging, for effortless torque and power throughout the rev range.
I know nothing about superchargers, but obviously there are milder versions that limit the stress on the car? Plus a conservative tune? What about the stock internals and their ability to deal with more HP? Is there a benchmark for knowing at which point one would need to upgrade other parts?

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
From what you described a cam would be the exact opposite to what you want.

Coming from someone who has a cammed LS3 you won’t gain much down low and your fuel economy will get worse. In my case went from 14-15L per 100 to 17-19L per 100.

If it’s just a bit of extra power and tune intake and headers with cats will do without making it crazy loud. Should improve the economy slightly too.

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
From what you described a cam would be the exact opposite to what you want.

Coming from someone who has a cammed LS3 you won’t gain much down low and your fuel economy will get worse. In my case went from 14-15L per 100 to 17-19L per 100.

If it’s just a bit of extra power and tune intake and headers with cats will do without making it crazy loud. Should improve the economy slightly too.
Thanks for the replies fellas.
So it appears that the benefits of a cam upgrade is more evident at higher rpms.

If I go the conservative route of Headers and Cats, CAI, +Tune would the increase in power be in the vicinity of 30 to 40 rwkw? With these minimal mods is there enough scope to tune for low-midrange?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Power characteristics are a function of engine hardware (i.e. gains will be across the whole range with more occurring at the top end being N/A). You can't tune for "bottom end" power as that's not how it works. If you want to change the characteristic and add power in a particular range you're either looking at cam/head work or adding a charger. Keeping in mind that you can only change so much with a cam (even a small cam isn't likely to add a lot at the bottom end).

I gained about 35rwkw from a full exhaust, OTR and tune on my L77 so you might get a bit more from an LS3. Another 70rwkw or so from the cam but it's a fair size and fuel economy is out the window. Sounds great at full song though.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
I fitted one of these throttle controllers as well the other week. For a small outlay it definitely changes the responsiveness off idle. I was doubting that it would do much but pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline