Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Ute rear dash cam install

Tex308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Ute, VE V6 Sportwagon
Hi all, I have installed a 2 channel dash cam set up in my VF2 ute, but am having trouble getting the cable to pop out in the centre of the rear screen.
I know the roof lining is clipped in at the centre rear with three clips, but can it just be pulled down enough for a cable to be fed out?
I have run the cable from the front cam, through the roof but cant get it out the rear. Have tried both ways with a cable tie and cant get it through.
Any advice or tips WITHOUT removing the roof lining would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hi all, I have installed a 2 channel dash cam set up in my VF2 ute, but am having trouble getting the cable to pop out in the centre of the rear screen.
I know the roof lining is clipped in at the centre rear with three clips, but can it just be pulled down enough for a cable to be fed out?
I have run the cable from the front cam, through the roof but cant get it out the rear. Have tried both ways with a cable tie and cant get it through.
Any advice or tips WITHOUT removing the roof lining would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
There's a plastic clip assembly glued in the centre of the roof lining about 50mm inboard from the rear window. You can't run a cable down the centre of the roof lining, and you need to run it around the clip assembly for the cable it to exit in the centre.

20200910_194107.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i use a cable feeder to run the dashcam cables through the roof lining of vehicles.
it allows you to feed the cable without unclipping the liner.

for a ute a short 1m feeder would do it, you could make one out of something rigid but flexible and then if the back is the trouble area feed in from the back to the front, attach the cable with some electrical tape at the front and pull it back out.

Tex308

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's a plastic clip assembly glued in the centre of the roof lining about 50mm inboard from the rear window. You can't run a cable down the centre of the roof lining, and you need to run it around the clip assembly for the cable it to exit in the centre.

View attachment 265690
Yep, that section at the rear is what I cant get past. I even tried from the rear window going forward and it wont even go 10mm in. I was hoping to just pull that section down to free the clips and then pass the cable through. I tried but felt like I was going to break it. The picture helps thanks! Ill try go around it then tuck it back in to centre it. Cheers!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yep, that section at the rear is what I cant get past. I even tried from the rear window going forward and it wont even go 10mm in. I was hoping to just pull that section down to free the clips and then pass the cable through. I tried but felt like I was going to break it. The picture helps thanks! Ill try go around it then tuck it back in to centre it. Cheers!
It's a bit hard to unclip from the rear and you can easily kink the roof lining. It's easy to unclip dropping the front of the roof lining down but you're trying to avoid that much disassembly just to run a cable.

Tex308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly. I may have to anyway. I'll try go around it first. Cheers for the replies! :)