Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh 1981 Sl

farkamhall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 1981 SL
Hi all, just joined and have been checking all the posts i could find on this problem with the Varijet carby. I have just inherited this car and it is immaculate and the only real problem is the carby, besides it being French made, i do not like it one bit. The posts i read suggest the Webber 34ADM but do not go into much detail about the adaptor plate that is required or what else io will need to alter.Can somebody please give me a detailed description of exactly how to go about it please. Many thanks in advance.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
i dont know anything about weber carbs. but holleys r alright jus dont buy a second hand one tho. i put 5 different recon holleys on mine and all were ****. put a new one on no probs. when u buy it. it will come with all of the information. iv never seen these varajets i thought the early commys come with a rochester quadra jet

dollerooni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 308 and VY II 25th Anniversary
iv never seen these varajets i thought the early commys come with a rochester quadra jet

Only the V8's came with the Rochesters. The 202 motors had Varajet carbies.

And yes, Varajets are very s**t lol. All you need for a Weber is the adapter plate, tho not sure where u get them from (maybe a carby exchange?). A new 350 Holley is nice and easy tho and they're as common as muck so not very hard to find.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
the 350 vacume holley is a nice carb for a straight 6. dont put a double pumper on unless ur lookin for big power gains. cause these chew alot of juice

farkamhall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 1981 SL
thanks guys. have decided to do a straight gas conversion.

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
varijets are better than holleys on these motors (i know a few ppl will agree, others wont). ive been playin with varijets for a few years now and have never really had probs wif them.
reason being the varijets atomise (think thats the word) the fuel better therefore burns better. would be cheaper to put a kit through ur current carby or just try a webber.

farkamhall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 1981 SL
thanks PEAKN6 but we are going to go for economy in this VH and as we intend to keep the car, LPG will probably give us a lot less hassle than the Varajet over a period of years. With the LPG rebate it will work out a fairly economical conversion.

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
no probs mate, correct me if im wrong but cant gas sometimes do more harm than good? unless the motor is built for gas?

if i ever went straight gas the main thing i would look forward to is ripping out the petty tank and throwin an extra pipe under there :thumbsup: love twinpipes.

goodluck with it neway mate :)

farkamhall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 1981 SL
thanks PEAKN6, could be you are right about the gas but a lot have done it without probs so will keep my fingers crossed. just made a post about the weber carby which i may get and put in til i can afford the gas, would you recognise it as a weber 34adm, if you could take a look.cheers