Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 308 overheating or gauge?

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
I don't know if my 308 is overheating or if gauge is playing up.
It's mildly worked with big cam and 3000 stall Trimatic.

The needle starts to rise about half way in 20 30 minutes of driving. Then, it starts to rise right up to red if I continue driving.
The motor doesn't ping or feel sluggish at that stage either.
I don't hear any bubbling of coolant and overflow bottle purges just a tiny bit of water after shut off.
The radiator has been reco months back. I've changed thermostat and temp sender.
Running clutch fan and shroud. Water pump is working fine.

I have however recoed the alternator because it was charging too high. My front head lights blew because of the extra charge.
Can the overcharging have an effect on the temp gauge playing up?

Any ideas?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

saladine1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 5.7
Stall was bought off someone so don't know who built it. Running standard cooler.
Dizzy rebuilt by Hume Performance.

Here's the thing about the timing. No one knows how set the damn thing properly. Took it to a dyno tuner but it felt worse than before the tune.
The engine has been dieseling ever since(engine runs on after turning off)...a result of timing?
Could that be the issue..?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dieseling could be a number of different things. over fueling and fouled plugs would be the two main culprits. you know what heatrange plugs you are running?

generally speaking, if your timing is too far retarded itll cook the engine. it usually happens when vac advance isnt working and you hit the fwy.

a good trans cooler cant hurt either with a 3k stally, your trans temps will be skyrocketing.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Here's the thing about the timing. No one knows how set the damn thing properly. Took it to a dyno tuner but it felt worse than before the tune.
The engine has been dieseling ever since(engine runs on after turning off)...a result of timing?
Could that be the issue..?

dieseling could be a number of different things. over fueling and fouled plugs would be the two main culprits. you know what heatrange plugs you are running?

generally speaking, if your timing is too far retarded itll cook the engine. it usually happens when vac advance isnt working and you hit the fwy.

I think we may have something here; retarded timing can also be a cause of Dieseling.

Whenever I have to look at an engine suspected of having a cooling problem I always like to measure the coolant temp. directly. That way you know what you a re dealing with. I think it's worth investing in a thermocouple based temp. measuring device. (They're useful for a lot of other things too.) There are a few ways to get them from one that plugs into a DMM to a stand alone unit (my preference). Dick Smith used to sell one with dual inputs, Part # Q 1437 (this I have - very useful) or Jaycar does QM-1601 (which I haven't used but looks OK). You push the thermocouple probe in between a cooling system hose and that's it. You do need to coat the bare thermocouple exposed wires/junction with a very thin coat of epoxy (eg. 5 min. Araldite) or you can get a false reading.

I think the running temps. for the VN-VT 304's are a useful guide to what temp. a 308 should be run at, so ~90-95C.