Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 308/VR SS 304 EFi conversion questions!!

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Current: VH SL/X BT1, about install 5L EFI
Hey peoples, i have a 82 VH cop special (SL/X, 308, Trimatic, disc brake sals) I'm putting a injected 304 out of a VR SS in it and have 3 questions:

1) I've bought the genie off the shelf EFI headers(1 & 3/4inch primary) can the motor go in with them already fitted or is it a case of fit them after the motor is in?

2) trans on or off when the motor comes out/goes in??

3) can i use the Diff out of a VN-VS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
I don't think the trimatic will fit the turbo pattern efi block.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
yep, tri wont bolt up,
place extractors in engine bay, while you could probably bolt the left one on, the right would have problems around the steering rack,
while a liveaxle diff would bolt in, it is phyically alot wider than a vh diff

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Like others have said, if you have the original VH 308 then it's a trimatic box and you'll need an adapter kit to fit the box unless you have the gearbox to suit the 304.

I did the same conversion on my old VH and just dropped the engine in first then the gearbox and extractors last (not too difficult to bolt them on) but have heard of people bolting the gearbox and drivers side header on before lowering it all in and adding the passenger side header later.

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Lads, I'm using the 4L60E out of the VR, thanks for the info :)

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
You'll need to make sure you get the VATs deleted on the ecu then if you haven't already. other issue you'll have is that VR onwards ran an electronic speed sensor rather that the mechanical found in the VN T700s. You'll need to change the speedo to an electronic one or do what I did and get a "Cable X box" that convers the electronic pulse to mechanical so you can keep the original VH speedo.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you can also buy a speedo drive 't-piece' that allows you to fit both the sensor and speedo cable
it's a fair bit cheaper than the converter, but I found the things syphon oil out of the box up the cable

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hey peoples, i have a 82 VH cop special (SL/X, 308, Trimatic, disc brake sals) I'm putting a injected 304 out of a VR SS in it and have 3 questions:

1) I've bought the genie off the shelf EFI headers(1 & 3/4inch primary) can the motor go in with them already fitted or is it a case of fit them after the motor is in?

Easier to do it by having the headers in the engine bay first, then dropping the engine in. Even then, they will be very close to the rack once bolted up.

2) trans on or off when the motor comes out/goes in??

If you have an engine leveler, trans on.

3) can i use the Diff out of a VN-VS?

Yes, but it is a bit wider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

As above....

Syko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks again lads, i ended up ordering the conversion kit from V6Conversions.com, i know its cheating but now i don't have any issues with G/Box crossmember or wiring and it comes with the reprogramed BCM and speedo... got the VS fuel tank and filler neck from the wreckers, vl and VS tail shaft will be ready by weeks end, genie headers on the shelf.... just about ready to lick things off now...

i know there are a few threads going on the conversion its self, but I'm thinking about doing a full thread, start to finish with pics, including wiring and exhaust set up.... do you guys think its worth while?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Definitely. Everyone likes a good conversion thread. People do things differently and with different components so post up as many photos as you can.