Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Cruise Control help

A

A1oz

Hiya ppl,
I own a VH SLE 6cyl, i am trying to get the Factory fitted cruise control to work again but not having much luck, i was wondering if any one could give me some ideas please.I have changed all the vacum hoses but still wont respond to activation of the button, the diaphram appears to be in good condition appart form that i really dont know where to start with the fualt finding.
Any help would really be appreciated thanks in advance.

P

pinguino

Hello

Is the Cruise control standard in the Vh?

Cause i own one and didnt notice this feature.
Where is the button located?

208_Fireball

Reaction score
The button is on the side of the 'coffee pot', next to the hazard lights button, but it was only an option on SL/X and SL/E models.

A1oz - there's 4 (iirc) wires going from the cruise control under the dash. 2 go to the switch, and 2 go to the switch that the brake pedal pushes on, if my memory serves me correctly. Perhaps a look at those wires, and/or a clean of the connectors will help.

Cheers,

Dave

vsuterus

Reaction score
Gday, I used to have a WB Statesman with the same cruise control setup as the VH. When I first bought it the cruise wasn't working - all it involved was adjusting the brake switch, because it has fallen out of place (only by half a centimetre or so), so it was just like trying to activate the cruise with your foot on the brake pedal - its an open circuit. You could also test the switch with a multimeter to see if its working correctly. Theres also a way to test the actuator under the bonnet, its in the WB Manual I have at home, you have to put the 2 pin plug on a different way. Can tell you in a week when I get back home if you can hang 5.

cheers
Rhys

F

Fordy

Don't know if this helps, but I find I have to hold down the cruise button for about two seconds and then slowly take my foot off the accelerator in order for it to work! Good luck!

A

A1oz

Thanks for all the replys, now that i'm mobile again will try all of these, its a pain knowing that you have cc set up but can't use it LOL ;) ;)

A

A1oz

Cruise Control Help

Ok after finally getting around to checking the wiring i have found them to be working correctly (i think), how can i tell if the actuator is working correctly??
also i noticed with the fault light plugged into one of the wires that when you push the CC button, the first half of the depress has power then the last half seems to shut the power off is this normal??

jeepers

Reaction score
ive had two vh sl/e's and found on both the cruise wouldnt work...because in addition to the brake switch, there is also a vacuum line going to another switch above the brake pedal. this switch dumps the vacuum as a backup im assuming. on both of mine, even though the cruise tried to engage, it was dumping the vacuum and therefore wouldnt hold a speed. on both of mine, i disconnected and blocked the vacuum line, as it is just a backup. cruise then worked spot on. to engage, hold button in fully and slowly release. once at set speed, holding the button in will slow you down. quickly pressing and releasing will switch it off (or tap the brake pedal..the elctronic switch cuts it out too as it should) if you have braked and want to resume your previous set speed, press half way and release (by memory) and the car will resume the previous speed. good luck ;)

jeepers

Reaction score
oh and yes. your test light is giving you the correct results.
to test the large vac diaphragm, hook up a vacuum line to it and suck!! hehe, if it holds in, then its working..if it hisses and releases, you have a crack...sometimes the plastic housing cracks...i find silicon does the trick lol. if the diaphragm itself is fucked...time for a new second hand one!