Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh ecotec l67

Johnnnysea

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sl
Hi legends,
Just after a bit of guidance on a project I’m working on.
I have a vh commodore I picked up a few months ago that already has a Buick 3800 with 4 speed auto conversion that was done over 20 years ago with qld mod plate, it has been registered in nsw though.
It’s pretty rough and needs a full respray, it does run and drive but would need restoring as it has sat around for a long time, so I bit the bullet and bought a supercharged ecotec with auto gearbox, wiring loom, ecu from a vy to put into it.
Any ideas on what will be the main challenges to do this conversion?
The ecotec L67 has already had all seals/gaskets/injectors and has a 12psi pulley and 69mm mace throttle body, so I’m thinking I will need a intercooler to help keep temps down.
Thanks
Johnny

Attachments

• 4FC876D7-AFB4-4008-8AE4-ED71FEED7378.jpeg
    4FC876D7-AFB4-4008-8AE4-ED71FEED7378.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 108

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mechanically it should bolt in as a direct swap for the older V6 motor.
The fun stuff will be the full wiring loom.

Option 1: The VY stuff is going to be a bit of a pain as you will preferably need the PCM and BCM and dash as well as the ABS (if fitted) as they all work together.

Option 2: Another, possibly easier option would be to use a VS V6 loom (modified to suit the L67) as this is happier to work without the BCM, and dash and ABS etc.

Option 3: would be to swap over to the older auto box, rewire the engine to use your existing wiring loom and have that tuned to suit, similar to what Scotty has done on Carnage with the VN L67 conversion he did (but he used a Haltech because .... advertising/sponsorship).

I'd be going for either option 2 or 3 depending on your ability and desires/funds.

Johnnnysea

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sl

Option 1: The VY stuff is going to be a bit of a pain as you will preferably need the PCM and BCM and dash as well as the ABS (if fitted) as they all work together.

Option 2: Another, possibly easier option would be to use a VS V6 loom (modified to suit the L67) as this is happier to work without the BCM, and dash and ABS etc.

Option 3: would be to swap over to the older auto box, rewire the engine to use your existing wiring loom and have that tuned to suit, similar to what Scotty has done on Carnage with the VN L67 conversion he did (but he used a Haltech because .... advertising/sponsorship).

I'd be going for either option 2 or 3 depending on your ability and desires/funds.
Thanks for the reply,
Yeh I thought there could be a few issues with the wiring, yeh option 3 sounds like it could be a winner, I’m planning on doing aftermarket gauges for the dash, so a fair bit of customisation.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump if you are running a stock V6 unit now, the L67's have a larger fuel pump as standard equipment.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I would adapt L67 engine to suit your existing set up...just upgrade f/pump,map sensor & transmission upgrade(or leave it)

Should be tread on ecotec conversion to buick cars...essentially making L67 setup mafless.

Reckon ideal setup would be vr ecu/loom with 4l60e & get custom memcal tune...if it's had vn/p with th700 put in no biggie just more mucking around to get auto to work properly.

Hit up Ace Performance tuning for memcal to get it running add correct pacemakers, f/pump & map sensor then the rest is basically modding ecotec to take vn/p or vr loom

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Since OP has running engine, can't he just slightly modify what he has and like GTR says just get custom memcal to suit L67 and go with MAP tune? I was told this was possible with my old VR.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It depends on which Auto he has but it will work with either and matching ECU/PCM he already has ( I was assuming VN/VP with 700R4 but I could be wrong).

The other consideration is tuning. Using a VS PCM you can upload a L67 tune and you are fairly close, with the older setup with MAP based system it's a custom tune to get it running.

If it was me than I'd be going with 424 PCM and 4L60e but then I can tune it myself so that solves a lot of issues.

Reactions: Lex

Johnnnysea

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sl
Thanks for the info fellas
The gearbox in the car now has the code 1HDM but I also have a 4HFD that came with the ecotec, is it best to stick with 1HDM?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got me stumped how last bunch of conversion threads seem to have worst possible combination of parts lol

1hdm is vn th700 with tv cable whilst 4hfd is vt.

Basically going to either adapt L67 to your vn setup & somehow adjust tv cable to work properly or drive it manually........other option is start-over rewire whole shebang to suit whole vt setup.