Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh heater

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My heater (non air con) hasn't worked in the 22 odd years that I have owned it and as it is off the road and I have a wee bit of spare time I would like to get it going again. I have a second hand one that I have had for a while. I had it checked out by an auto sparkie today. He said the electrics are fine but the motor doesn't turn over to good and wouldn't last all that long.
Being such a pain to get in and out I wouldn't be that happy if it broke down after a short period
of time.
Does anyone know of anyone that reconditions them or any other motor that would fit?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are you sure the motor is faulty in your one? Does it blow cold air? If so, try reverse flushing the heater core using a garden hose (it worked on mine many moons ago).

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that, when I get it going I will give that a go. However I would still like to get this one going properly
just in case.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
A decent Auto Elec should be able to recon the electric motor. My local guy reco'd my starter and wiper motors and they run like new now.

A good radiator flush should clear out your heater core if it is blocked (if opened during the flush). Mind it doesn't start leaking post flush if it has been blocked for 22 years (if that is the problem). It could also be the cable to the tap, or the tap itself that is cactus.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Is it blowing air at all or just cold?

Been awhile since looking at vh but think demister fan not that difficult to change with dash apart....fan looks heavy duty.

Took heater box out of vh & vk...they're not fun lol

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it blowing air at all or just cold?

Been awhile since looking at vh but think demister fan not that difficult to change with dash apart....fan looks heavy duty.

Took heater box out of vh & vk...they're not fun lol
The motor is out and having a bit of spare time I thought I might fix the heater. It's the not fun bit that concerns me
however I'm prepared to give it a go.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I did my VP which works similar.
The whole dash pad has to come off to access the heater box. Then remove the heater box.
It’s a big job but worth doing now rather than when the car is running again.

Replace the heater core and heater tap, it’s worth doing, and giving all the heater box internals a good clean.

The heater core can also be removed by cutting the pipes inside the car but that is dodgy and replacing the cut section with heater hose, but if they ever burst off, then you get horribly burnt. Best do right.