Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh radiator support panel

Duram

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh commodore
Currently restoring a Vh commodore blue 202 with a 5 speed behind it. My question is the radiator support panel is bent smashed from previous owners son. I have the replacement whole thing, to take off the old one they are spot welds correct? Obviously need to take radiator out. I can see the spot welds throughout the support panel was just wondering what the way to go about it if anyone has done it here. Cheers!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Whilst I have never replaced the rad panel, I do suspect it'd be a case of undrilling the spot welds to remove it and re-welding the spot weld points when the new one is put on

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
VC commodore above is right, use a small drill bit in the center of the spot welds, drill thru both panels then either use a bigger drill bit or a spot weld drill bit and drill thru just the old panel. Always drill from the right side where possible, from memory u shouldn’t have an issue getting to every spot weld. Prob been 12 odd years since I’ve unpicked one but was accessible with a drill easy enough.
You will need to take a lot more than just your radiator off tho.
Use a hammer and chisel to separate the 2 panels and after you fit the replacement in place, screw it first and assemble the car, fit headlights and everything, adjust as needed.
Then plug weld all the holes only taking a few screws out a time.
There’s a lot more involved but you should research a bit before doing it, like removing paint to get a clean weld, using weld thru primer between the panels and I’d recommend painting it the new colour prior to fitting on the car cause you won’t get to all the insides easily after it’s welded, you will still have to repaint but it will be easier and be a longer lasting paint job. I assume you know how to paint and prime, cause that’s important too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have seen where people use either weld through primer or copper spray....The one I have seen using copper spray didn't actually use colour when he joined the panels together....this was a youtuber

If needed, I'll post up the youtuber, that uses copper spray only and no paint when joining panels...It might even be helpful in seeing how to remove and fit panels that are spot welded together....

I'll also say, I don't know whether it is correct or not....Just going by a youtubers method...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's an earlier vh model that still has chassis number on top of the radiator support I'd really try to keep that section on the car & repair it.

If it's a later one with numbers on strut tower or already had radiator support & lost it's numbers change whole thing if it's easier.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it's an earlier vh model that still has chassis number on top of the radiator support I'd really try to keep that section on the car & repair it.

If it's a later one with numbers on strut tower or already had radiator support & lost it's numbers change whole thing if it's easier.

Are you aware when this chassis number placement swap over occurred? I'll have a sticky later at the month/year my VH was built and post that up, so we might be able to determine when it occurred....Mine is on the tower...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
General guide is early ones on radiator support & last ones finally got it on strut tower....when holden finally made the change fark knows as it probably differed from state to state.

Standard issue when vk range came out after all the complaints about early girls with no chassis numbers or tags.

TBH always though vk was first to have it untill cousin bought a vh with it on strut tower but his car was an unusually late build...want to say it was 83 model but think it was something weird like jan 84(???).

This was way back in 00's as the vk popularity with young blokes just started to take off....very few blokes were going last of the steel bumpers vh route lol

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
The VH changed in the later 1982 series.