Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Sedan - So long old girl...

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
Well,

after 23 years of faithful service I parted company with my trusty 1983 VH 2.8L Sedan today. Still got the original sales docket, $13545 new from Preston Motors in Keilor Rd Essendon.

Seem to recall getting a $1000 cashback Vic Government new car incentive cheque a few weeks after I picked it up. You don't see that these days!!!

It was the car I courted my missus with and brought my newborn son home from hospital in. It rarely let me down and after 23 years and 285000 or so kms owed me nothing.

I couldn't bear to take it to a wrecker so a fella in my suburb took it off me for $100, hopefully she'll live on for a few more years...

Thanks General, hope the VR is even half as good!

Clarrie

SoulGrind

§ôµÏG®ïñD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SII Calais - VF SSV Redline
Parting with a car sucks.. My parents bought hte VH i currently own and were gonna take it to the wreckers, I told them Hell no, and restored the car (almost) to original state.

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
its good to hear you had a good run in the VH 173 cos i have one too and i hope mine will be as good to me as yours was to you

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
my VH 173 is staying in the family till it turns to dust!! pop bought it new in november 83 and garaged it 5 years later... i found out about the damn thing and offered him 2K and its all mine!! 104K on the clock and such i nice car... a few rough patches at the start but that was just my unlucky side running riot the car is in sweet condition

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
That was beautiful, I wiped a tear away whilst reading those posts.I know it's the F word but we owned an old XC goon for 13 yrs, brought me kids home from hospital in it aswell.Took it 4 wheel driving occassionally when we went camping.Got the bugger in sum difficult places.Had to part wif it in the end as it had no power steering & my shoulders have both been reconned & I could no longer drive it.It was in excellent condition, the Mrs shed a tear went it left.A couple of surfie lads from W.A took it back West.I redeemed myself back to a Holden..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My parents bought an Ice Green VH SL/X 202 4 speed manual with a so nice green interior back in 82' and it never let us down, ever. I learned to drive in it and my brother gave it the biggest flogging you could ever give to a car, my mum stacked it pretty good a few times and my brother had a car hit him from behind and wiped out the rear end right up to the wheel arches but it got fixed with all new panels and it just kept on going!. It even had a new roof when it was still fairly new thanks to a road side slasher putting a soup bowl sized rock through the window and into the roof via my mums head! and the top of the door (just skimed her head and needed a few stiches *lucky*) Finally the doors went rusty and the motor was getting a bit tired and smokey after about 230,000 ks so we sold it. The new owners put a reco blue 6 in it and had the rust fixed and a Ice Green respray. Some VN loving P platers bought it about 3 years ago and last time I saw it it was smoking the rears sideways out of a corner with a 253 in it. I think It died not long after that sighting but it was so good to see that it lived its last days with a V8 in it and went out in style

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
While we are on about depressing stories,

About 13 or so years ago, my father had this perfect HQ wagon which he had restored and he had put all the little extras in such as power antenna etc.
He'd put a lot of time and effort into this and in 1993, somehow my mother convined him to sell the HQ and buy a new VP. The VP was a good car but nothing compared to the beautiful HQ.
It still remains to be my fathers and my favourite car, even though I love my VK and now my Dad has no idea why he sold it and totally regrets it.
We think that it lives somewhere in Gymea Bay now but they haven't garaged it at all and last time we saw it the rust is popping out after 13 years or so.

So depressing.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Sad to hear storys like this. But they say you need to step foward into the future. Perhaps thats why dad won't part with his second owner VB.

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
my vh SLX has that green interior and ive never seen another one like it.

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3
Talking about sad stories.

The first VK Commodore i had was originally owned by a war veteran in his 80's. It was in showroom condition and had 60,000kms on it, which was pretty good for a 13 year old car at that time. I tried my hardest to keep that car all original but after a few years I sold it to a friend when i got my VP.

Every time i saw the car after that it looked worse and worse. Body damage and general bad maintenance. Earlier this year i went to the wreckers looking for parts for my current VK when i spotted my old one sitting on a stack of cars. Instantly my heart sank to my stomach.

Basically, i have never forgiven myself for selling that car. SL/E NUT, you say we need to step forward into the future, but i just can't.
:cry:

Attachments

• Image(192b).JPG
    Image(192b).JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 231