Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Upgrade from Six Cylinder to V8

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commordore Executive Wagon
If you want it road legal, you can't put an older motor that pre dates the vehicle in it.

So red no, blue yes.
Hello VS 5.0 - thanks for the message! Regards Lionel

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Blue engine nicer gear with quaddie & hei....as long as engine prefix is VR & you have receipt/proof of ownership should be fine HR is red block.

Main difference with v8 & 6cyl box is input shaft length...m20 shorter ratio than m21.

Wiring wise just extend wiring of 6cyl harness & use all your sender units etc...fair bit 6cyl gear on car can be reused so dont throw anything out untill it's finished.

Ideally you want to buy complete as possible eng/trans for early girl as little things will cost the most to chase down in time/money...253 seems more available these days against stupidly priced potentially junk 5 litres.

Lionelgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commordore Executive Wagon
Hello All,

You were right GTRBoyy. I found out that too many parts are missing to make the car worthwhile to buy. So back to the drawing board. The bonnet is missing for a start and on Marketplace sad and sorry looking ones have an asking price of $500 and one actually here in Bundaberg for pristine condition for $1000. Then add even the small stuff like the plastic wedges that adjust the height of the headlights. Plus the missing headlights themselves ... and ... and.

Thank you for all the replies - they were very helpful.

I did check on another thread here and there seems to be some debate whether the M21 can fit a six cylinder motor. Some people say it is not possible and other people said they have a couple sitting in their shed and in their cars! A hot rodder here in Bundaberg today said it was very difficult and most ones that are advertised as M21 on a six cylinder are actually M20s. It would be interested to see one in real life! Since I am after a 4.2 litre blue motor it would be good to know how to spot an authentic M21!

Kind regards
Lionel

Attachments

• M21 to 6 cylinder thread Swordsy.jpg
    M21 to 6 cylinder thread Swordsy.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I actually preferred M20 gearboxes...cheaper & dime a dazen availibility back in the day but also shorter ratio gears so they were much nicer to cruise around city....M21 was more bragging rights & for people who liked doing 50-60km/h in first gear

As long as you have correct v8 input shaft & bellhousing you could make 3spd box bolt up ito a v8 f you wanted to.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Was that 3.08 or 2.60 gears? How many minutes to get there? lol

They felt so damn slow...loved jamming 3.55 gears in them & slaughtering cars with big money motors but stock gearing.

Absolutely hated 2.60 gears in any vh sle although made them harder to crash for mates who couldn't steer for shite although my brother managed to crash his lol

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Was that 3.08 or 2.60 gears? How many minutes to get there? lol

They felt so damn slow...loved jamming 3.55 gears in them & slaughtering cars with big money motors but stock gearing.

Absolutely hated 2.60 gears in any vh sle although made them harder to crash for mates who couldn't steer for shite although my brother managed to crash his lol

16 sec 1/4 lol.

Was still fun to drive though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I put 4.44 geared mini-spool diff in a mate's ex chaser/brock replica....scared crap out of him we had to take it back out.

Man thought I was Chris Christou/Victory Bray hanging that thing sideways down street one arm out the window smoke everywhere haha

His neighbours didn't care as long as we didn't do it late at night...good ol' 90's

Wonder how many years we have left before EV cars take over or we can no longer afford this hobby.