Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibrating when driving

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Hi all,

Was driving VX ute yesterday when driving up i step hill all of a sudden it dropped back a gear and the revs went up to about 4500 then after that the whole car had a shakey feel the floor, pedals etc etc. I have a feeling it may be the tranny? It has just clocked over 280,000 and is due for a service. But have noticed the exhaust is making like a pop noise. I did put fuel in it about 30 mins before this happened. Was raining and alot of water on the ground possible that water had got into the servo fuel tanks?

I checked the tranny fluid and its pretty dark not the normal lite pink and doesn't have a sweet smell like my other cars. Not a full burnt smell to it but close.

Any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is it a vibration or shaking? Does it only do it in top gear?

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Both mate. Its pretty bad once i got out of the car i could still feel the vibrating in my legs. It even does it at start up. Once u get up to 80km it sounds like a chopper flying overhead. Also shaky steering wheel to.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Then it sounds to me like stuffed engine mount(s). Chech them out to see if they are broken or sagging causing the sump to kit the crossmember.

hsv_timo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Had the exact same problem when I bought my VX It was doing weird thinks like that I thought it was the tranny but one day about 2 months later it started to run on 4 cylinders found out it was a coil pack the whole time.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Ok will do. Would it be risky driving it?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok will do. Would it be risky driving it?
If the sump is hitting the crossmember you could do damage. If it is a broken mount you could drive it carefully but I would fix it urgently. The mounts are designed so the engine can't fall out but there would be quite a bit of movement. The best thing to do is get under the car and use a lever near the mounts and see how much movement there is.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Thanks for your help.

Cheers

motormaniac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
"Vibrating when driving"

Bet the missus isnt complaining :p