Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vibration in steering

klavins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International Wagon MY09.5
I found that putting higher octane fuel in helped a lot. Used to just run 91 because it was cheaper but got a lot of steering vibration most noticable going over 90km/hr. I've recently started putting 95 and now 98 in and it runs a heck of a lot smoother and steering vibrates far less.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Hi guys, have got a vibration coming through my steering wheel. Done some searching a found a few posts of similar issue but they have been warped rotors and tyre rotation. My rotors are fairly new, I put them on because of the vibration. Now it seems to be getting worse and will constantly shake even while not braking. The wheels are brand new and properly balanced and the strut top mounts have been recently replaced with nolathane items. Has anyone had a mysterious vibration in their steering that is slightly exacerbated under braking. Seems to get worse at speed. Any help would be much appreciated. Because I've replaced all the common problem items but the shake is still there.

Exactly...on my VY S Commodore....steering wheel shaking under braking and at speed....machined front rotors....fixed.
5000kms later same problem....machined back rotors....fixed....and no more problems....did 25000Kms since then....no problems....now sold.

Did you put new rotors on the rear?......if in the future machine front and rear rotors at the same time.

JNew

Reaction score
Only replaced front with new dba slotted product. You found the rears caused steering vibration? I haven't done these as didn't think this would caused sterring wheel vibration, more a body vibration. But thanks for your help, I'll give it a go along with replacing the harmonic balancer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Warped rear rotors will cause a pulsating through the brake pedal under braking, not through the steering wheel....Front rotors warped cause a vibration through the steering wheel under braking.....Note, all under braking...this is because the pads aren't clamping the rotor whilst you're driving the car.....they clamp when you hit the big pedal, or middle pedal (depending on what transmission you run.) So replace the harmonic balancer and take it from there

JNew

Reaction score
Time to revive this to see if anyone out there has had similar issue. Since I last posted I have replaced the harmonic balancer and all pulleys etc to no joy. Still have a shaking sensation in the steering that gets worse as you get up to 100kph and quite violent under braking. Have replaced most parts common with this, wheels, tyres, coil overs, pads, rotors and top hats (oh and an alignment) and nothing has made a difference. Haven't done the rear rotors because I don't see how these could be associated with the steering wheel shake under normal driving and then worse under braking.

Anyone who's had a similar issue I'd be keen to hear from you.

(1 thing that was odd during alignment was front left hand castor was +7 which means this wheel sits quite far back and cause the car to have a pull left tendency on cambered roads, however fine on flat new urban roads in my area) castor on the front is not adjustable apparently.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Time to revive this to see if anyone out there has had similar issue. Since I last posted I have replaced the harmonic balancer and all pulleys etc to no joy. Still have a shaking sensation in the steering that gets worse as you get up to 100kph and quite violent under braking. Have replaced most parts common with this, wheels, tyres, coil overs, pads, rotors and top hats (oh and an alignment) and nothing has made a difference. Haven't done the rear rotors because I don't see how these could be associated with the steering wheel shake under normal driving and then worse under braking.

Anyone who's had a similar issue I'd be keen to hear from you.

(1 thing that was odd during alignment was front left hand castor was +7 which means this wheel sits quite far back and cause the car to have a pull left tendency on cambered roads, however fine on flat new urban roads in my area) castor on the front is not adjustable apparently.

Do the rear rotors as I have said before.....if the rotors are warped it will effect the steering under braking.

JNew

Reaction score
Do the rear rotors as I have said before.....if the rotors are warped it will effect the steering under braking.

What about just under normal cruising conditions, constant wobble back and forth? Did you also experience that?

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
What about just under normal cruising conditions, constant wobble back and forth? Did you also experience that?

From memory yes....not a wobble...but a slight vibration being transmitted to the steering wheel....and more pronounced whilst braking.

JNew

Reaction score
From memory yes....not a wobble...but a slight vibration being transmitted to the steering wheel....and more pronounced whilst braking.

Vibration like slight side to side (not much movement, maybe 1cm either way from centre, that you could almost miss if you were holding the wheel tight) of the steering wheel that was a faster vibration/wobble at higher speeds approaching 100kph and quite bad under braking?

Exellent. I will just replace the rotors outright I think. Thanks very much for you help. Hopefully this works. Otherwise off to Pedders for a full inspection which is what I was trying to avoid as I simply dont have the time.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

What model commodore? If it's a VR and later, +7 is quite normal.....Is is also non-adjustable with factory parts....And it wouldn't be sitting right back....-7 would be right back

The left caster is generally 1/4 (.25) more on the left when compared to the right to counter act the right.....If it was really as bad as you are saying, the car would pull left on every road....